yfz rear shock: pics request.

mithuth

Apr 16, 2009
Warren, PA 16365
Ok, I got a YFZ450 rear shock and drilled the lower mount so the blaster pin slides through, but WOW is this thing long. I'd really like to see a few pics of a Blaster with the shock installed, and a few pics of the mounting points so I can see what everyone's doing to get this thing bolted in up top.

If anyone's in the middle of installing one, care to take some pics and do a little how to for us struggling guys?

I'm about to give up. lol

the top bolts right in.. it just sits high. i just put a lowering kit on the rear of mine
Even with the shock out of the wheeler, the stock bolt doesn't slide through the yfz shock. I'm guessing I'll need to get a smaller bolt to slip through. At that point, I'm concerned with the bolt rattling around inside the frame mount.

i just used some washers and a new bolt and nut to sung up the top, then the bottom i just the mount a little shorter and drilled new holes. its sits a little higher, but i like it like that. i may do a DIY because my old on blew so i just got a new shock in the mail.

After sizing it up, I really don't like how high the rear will sit with it mounted. I may try redrilling the lower mount and cutting off the excess, but I'm afraid to make it too brittle underneath.

you didnt already cut off the bottom and redrill? lol holy sh*t man that would be weird to ride.. cut off the excess, redrill the holes in the bottom of the shock and if its still too high get the cheap lowering kit on ebay and it'll lower it right down to stock height for you.

umm, ok, that makes sooo much more sense on the height then... LOL. The ass end was chest height on a 5'10" guy... I was like - no way in hell anyone's riding like that!

Now what about the top, does anyone know what the bolt size I'll need is?

just get one that is snug threw the shock, and then use washers to fill in the extra space and then bolt it down tight. i would be more then happy to show you that im talking about with pictures but im not putting my blaster back together untill next week.

I'm patient, a pic or two of your rebuild would be freaking sweet for those of us just getting into wheelers or planning to do similar. I've been wanting to rip mine down and paint the frame and some other parts, but I don't want to end u with a pile of crap I can't get back together. lol