Yes i ruined my motor... Please tell me how bad

NASTYBLASTY

Oct 7, 2011
Welland Ontario Canada
So i was doing a tune up and my boyfriends brother was in the shop bothering me.. as he knocks against my quad a rock falls into the spark plug hole(the ground is gravel which my magnet tray picks up he hit the quad the magnet tray was sitting on the quad a rock falls into that general area) so i take the cylinder head off and the piston was up still i looked took off the manifold etc and didnt see anything.. so i thought ok the rock fell onto the ground... hes lucky..
My blaster ran great for a while than BANG lost all power i thought nothing of the rock bc i had a cracked intake manifold which i replaced,but i figured i jusst needed a top end and melted the piston. That was until i opened up the top end and saw the piston is RUINED ...its got pits all over the piston cylider head and the cylinder is shot. What else would you reccomend checking ? i know i need a piston and cylinder but could i sand the head like mill it myself or should i just get a new one.. ? I mean is there a point or could a lot more be ruined?

i still cant find this rock so maybe a bearing fell apart? the rod has play too..i took the cylinder in to be measured to order a piston kit and the guy at the shop said it aint worth it to fix ...is it? he said i cant do a piston rod beg aring ill have to send it out...but im pretty good..ive never done it before but am mechanically inclined and have done everything else thus far.

please help me...it still starts first kick but has NO power and you can hear a rattle n piston slap noise...i just bought it and put about 250 into it in cosmetic things... ANY ADVISE WOULD BE SO APPRICHAITED... THANKS FOR READING

Pictures are required to determine how bad it is.

Also, you need to pull the cylinder and check out the rod/crank. Chances are the rock tweaked the connecting rod and that'll need to be rebuilt.

ok that makes sense im at work so will post pictures after my 48hr shift... the rod has alot of excessive play i definately need a rod bearing is it something i can do myself?... the guy at the shop says no ...but hes also not very knowledgeable..his brother owns the shop he doesn' t. here are a couple pics of a piston that looks pretty close to mine. the cylinder looks good actually but has a grove in it that i guess is too deep so ive been told. and the head is pitted jusst like the piston..i dont know what to do with the head.. i guess im ahead of myself.. what do i need to do next? split the bottom but is it worth it?
Imagining the worst case scenario how hard/doable is a complete rebuild on this thing...? i know its going to be a few hundred a least .. any advice?

THANK YOU FOR REPLYING REALLY..im quite upset over this whole thing ive only owned it for a few months sucks.

Attachments

• pistonchew.jpg
    pistonchew.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 201
  • wreaked piston.jpg
    wreaked piston.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 205
ok that makes sense im at work so will post pictures after my 48hr shift... the rod has alot of excessive play i definately need a rod bearing is it something i can do myself?... the guy at the shop says no ...but hes also not very knowledgeable..his brother owns the shop he doesn' t. here are a couple pics of a piston that looks pretty close to mine. the cylinder looks good actually but has a grove in it that i guess is too deep so ive been told. and the head is pitted jusst like the piston..i dont know what to do with the head.. i guess im ahead of myself.. what do i need to do next? split the bottom but is it worth it?
Imagining the worst case scenario how hard/doable is a complete rebuild on this thing...? i know its going to be a few hundred a least .. any advice?

THANK YOU FOR REPLYING REALLY..im quite upset over this whole thing ive only owned it for a few months sucks.

Whoa, that looks ROUGH. I would guess that the other end of that damage is just as bad? If so, you're probably looking for a new motor or at least A LOT of work on that one.

Go to the forsale section and look under the stickies for the post by me about rebuilt crankshafts. $99 shipped for a rebuild as long as your crank ends are still in good shape. New rods, bearings, pin, and washers.

You probably need to split the cases to look for damage anyway.... I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not just the cylinder and piston that took the brunt of that....

personally i wouldn't do a bottom end rebuild myself i mean if ur gunna do it do it rite!!! u would have to reasembel the gear box and heat the case and heat the crank to get out the woodruf key and put it on the new crank ,and the woodruf key could shear undoing all ur hard work

thats naaaaaasty... yeah u have your work cut out for ya on this one, just getting a new running engine off egay would be a option but u risk buying someone elses junk

personally i wouldn't do a bottom end rebuild myself i mean if ur gunna do it do it rite!!! u would have to reasembel the gear box and heat the case and heat the crank to get out the woodruf key and put it on the new crank ,and the woodruf key could shear undoing all ur hard work

Its a couple of hours worth of work to tear it all down and build it back.ive never had to heat cases all that jive.

If it were me id get a new rotating assembly and top end and be done with it.If youre mechanically inclined and got a manual youre good to go.

You could always see what ken would charge to put a new rod on your crank.

This is precision when it comes to the crank and getting it aligned and requires a special jig and so on id leave that part to a pro with the right tools you dont want an imbalanced crank in your motor that would be catastrophic.

Well I took your advise as much as I wanted to do it I figured Id spend 500 can on. the repair 400 min and I just sold.it n ill put that money toward a new one still gotta good price for it with a blown engine. Everyone looking for a winter tear down right now thanks for all Ur input I didn't anticipate that big of a job

Well I took your advise as much as I wanted to do it I figured Id spend 500 can on. the repair 400 min and I just sold.it n ill put that money toward a new one still gotta good price for it with a blown engine. Everyone looking for a winter tear down right now thanks for all Ur input I didn't anticipate that big of a job

You sold the whole quad because a rock dropped down inside the engine?

To each his/her own I guess....