xr400 valve help

Tylerbb25331

Feb 22, 2013
its time to adjust valves on this thing and usually it would be no problem, butnow it is, i can get 3 of the 4 valve cap srew things on top off, the fourth one is "stuck" i guess you would say and the nut shape on top of it has been broken, any ideas on how to get it off???

May have to revert to the butchers trick of some gentle persuasion.

Last resort, a bluntened cold chisel and a few sure blows with the dreaded hammer.

ok so i got it of finally and adjusted the valves like normal, ( i didnt over tighten) but now when i go to crank it it will spin over once then lock up, i took the valve cover screws back off and rolled the bike in gear to see what it was doing this is what the valves are doing : exhaust open - intake shut - intake open - intake shut - lock

not to sure if thats clear lol but if you understand what im saying what can this be?

ya i figured i helped my friend today on his xr200 cuz it was doing the same thing, so after doing his i decided to do mine tomorrow cuz it started back firing pretty bad before and then it locks up on me like this

sound to me like it jumped time if so consider a new timing chain and tensioner its definitely a good idea and insurance for your valves if it has jumped time you should pull your head and check your valves I had an xr350 that had jumped time and it bent them in the process

It sounds like you may have over tightened a valve and the valve is hitting the piston causing the engine to lock. At any rate, over adjusted or slipped timing, DON’T FORCE IT!!! You’ll bend valves. An easy way to adjust the valves is to set one set while the other set is open. In other words, adjust the lash of the intake while the exhaust valves are starting to open and adjust the exhaust valves while the intakes are starting to open.