Works shocks problem

Blasterr

Jul 14, 2012
Okay so I traded my shocks and an ipod for these. They dont have ressivors and I dont know anything about them? Well when i got home i noticed the damn spring was broke! Is this a big problem? heres a pic

Attachments

• asdff.jpg
    asdff.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 190
I have a guy that works on all my shocks. Hes the guy to send them too if you want them fixed up for your weight and ride style. PM me for his number.

Black liquid would be dirty shock oil. Not the end of the world but better if it was crisp and clear (new).

I believe you can actually call Works up and purchase another dual rate spring. They'll want to completely service them instead of selling just the spring but I believe with a little pressure you could just buy one dual rate spring.

Okay, and can I fill em up with air? air compressor?

Age old question.... as hot a topic as any on the board.

The technical answer is you should ONLY refill them with dry nitrogen at more than 100 psi but less than 200psi.

The reality of it is, unless you're going to be taxing the shocks to the max, 125 psi of air will actually work well. The pressure is added to keep the oil from foaming while it passes through the valve. While the partial pressure of oxygen in air at 125 psi is high and you're mixing it with oil, it's not really dangerous as the volume of oxygen is low and the environment is fuel rich. However, oxygen does behave differently as the temperature rises and can affect the "valving" of the shocks if you begin to tax them heavily (full cycles repeatedly many times a minute) either doing MX style or desert prerunner style riding....

I let all the air and black oil out of the shocks.... Should I just buy new shocks?

well no, not necessarily. You've got basically a clean slate to work with now. A lot of truck stops and truck tire shops have nitrogen in the right pressure range.

You can call Works and see about what viscosity shock oil you need and ordering a replacement spring.

If the spring and shock oil run you $50 and the refill is $70, you've STILL got a great deal on your hands without buying new shocks.

I'd pursue (call around) repairing what you have and buy something else as a last resort. Better the devil you know I've always heard. Might another set of shocks and find out they're as bad as what you've got. You could end up with two piles of junk!

I have no idea what the valves or anything are.... Im thinking about trading this guy back.

If you don't have the desire to rebuild those shocks, you may want to contact him back.

I can tell you though, properly rebuilt they're about 50 times the shock that a stock shock is.

How much will a full rebuild be? seals, air, everything. and that one spring. What about speed demons fox shocks with rezzys? those good?

Call Works tomorrow and ask about getting them serviced. Getting them serviced isn't particularly cheap but they do everything and deliver them back to you ready to bolt on.

I already found that. Idk what I need and not paying 80 bucks an hour for labor....