work boots and no heel gaurds = disaster

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
ouch_zpsca59ead5.jpg

foot_zps45cb2c14.jpg

just gonna qwickly share this story with everyone, before i go prop my "almost ripped off" foot back up, i've been runnin my new blasty, just like i ran my old one for 8 yrs., with just pegs, no floorboards, no heelgaurds, and just workboots, well that just caught up with me, after my boot laces got caught in the chain and sucked my foot back under the tire and axle, after sitting there on the bike for a few minutes (i couldnt get my foot out, so i was stuck there) i decided it was time to call 911, it took them an hour to find me in the stripjob i was riding in, by then my whole leg was numb, and i may have been close to going into shock, when they finally reached me, and said they were gonna gimme a shot of morphine, before removing me from the bike, i knew it was bad, well, i looked down right before they loaded me into the helicopter, to see my foot facing completely backwards, i ended up with an $11,000 chopper ride, a severly dislocated ankle and both bones in my lower leg broken, i know have 4 screws in the ankle, and 16 weeks on crutches with no work, all because i thought my heelgaurds looked better sittin in the garage, i'll never ride without them, or better yet, some aftermarket metal ones and some good ridin boots again, like always, i like to learn things the hard way
had i not been just putting around in second gear, it may have ripped my foot completly off, so all you guys, put those ugly heelgaurds back on, they serve a very good purpose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thank god ur alright and u still have ur foot. Crazy story. I have had that same thing happen but the thing was that was on a mountain bike and not nearly as severe.

As for the heel guards, I will take a pic to show u my nice IMS Heel guards in a day or two...

damn man that sucks.

And P.S. that helicopter ride wasn't you'll feel that on the insurance bill. i fractured my neck on a bike and mine wasn't close to free

I watched a kid do that on a little quad... broke his leg... wasn't pretty

but im glad you are okay... I wont ride a quad without heel guards....

wow, thats terrible. Glad to see you didnt lose your foot. I get nervous riding mine without but the mr just bought me some nerfs and im lookin for stck heel guards now...Ill take this as my warning. OUCH!! take it easy...hope you have someone to take care of ya

We're glad your alright man. I also get nervous riding without heelguards. Like I'm doing now with my YFZ. Welp I think I'm fixing to go put those heelguards on.

thanx to all, who responded to this and wished me well, like i said i've rode for years without the gaurds with no prob's. but when the boot laces got caught in the chain, it was like a winch effect winding up on the axle, i dont even know if the plastic heelgaurds would have stopped it, im thinkin these nice aluminum crutches will make some nice ones, haha, and no the chopper ride wasnt free, try $10,000, and i didnt even get to enjoy it, the morphine kicked in by then, and i was out of it, and the paramedics never did find me, they flagged down a couple kids on dirtbikes to go look for me, and thats who found my location, and i ended up knowing them, they got their dad to come with a truck to get my blasty to my sisters house

Reactions: BlastieSa
thanx to all, who responded to this and wished me well, like i said i've rode for years without the gaurds with no prob's. but when the boot laces got caught in the chain, it was like a winch effect winding up on the axle, i dont even know if the plastic heelgaurds would have stopped it, im thinkin these nice aluminum crutches will make some nice ones, haha, and no the chopper ride wasnt free, try $10,000, and i didnt even get to enjoy it, the morphine kicked in by then, and i was out of it, and the paramedics never did find me, they flagged down a couple kids on dirtbikes to go look for me, and thats who found my location, and i ended up knowing them, they got their dad to come with a truck to get my blasty to my sisters house

i love the part when u say these crutches will make some nice ones lol,i like the way u think lol, way to keep ur head up when something sh*tty happens bud I:I

i love the part when u say these crutches will make some nice ones lol,i like the way u think lol, way to keep ur head up when something sh*tty happens bud I:I

I'm not familiar with heelguards. I'm assuming that I'm looking at them on this quad.I guess they help to hold your foot in one place and not slip back toward the rear sprocket. I just order a new crankcase cover,because the other was broke and more front sprocket was showing. I always worry about something getting caught in the chain. I guess the MX boots with the straps are a good way to go.

Scott

yeah i will always wear my boots. i always have. i actually feel wierd not wearing them and yes the heel guards make sure you foot does get caught under the back wheel or wrapped up in the back sprocket Etc.

yeah i will always wear my boots. i always have. i actually feel wierd not wearing them and yes the heel guards make sure you foot does get caught under the back wheel or wrapped up in the back sprocket Etc.

do u mean it makes sure it doesnt get cought under the wheel??lol

I took mine off and i like it but mine were falling apart. But im getting some mx boots soon and i think i might fabb up some heel guards.

ya dude thats nuts, i always thought about that scenario, im dumb i have not heel gaurds and i always ride in shoes, i bought mine without heelguards, just the pegs on mine, but now i kinda wanna get some sicc nerfs and some heel guards. get better bro.

oh sorry bout that dude, hope it turns back to normal, i have a bended foot peg without heelguard or anything at left side, but heelguard and normal foot peg at right xD, its bended backwerd so my foot gets scary close to tire