Winter Maintenance

Ride_Relief

Apr 23, 2008
www.burnscreativestudio.com
I got my blaster in May and have ridden all summer without doing anything to it. Seems in good shape. The only noticeable problem is a tendency to not want to idle down right away unless a little bit of load is put on (like letting the clutch out a bit). It kind of surges a little (maybe I need to work on the jetting?). Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has any standard repairs/preventative maintenance that they do periodically or every winter while not ridding as much? I do plan to winter ride but am looking forward to some time to tear into it a bit and get everything tuned up for summer. I have time and space but not an abundance of money. Thanks

Keep the chain clean and lubed, grease everything that has a zurk, change tranny oil, I like to use stabil for the fuel in case I let it sit too long, I like to inspect the bearings too and also look at wear and tear on the tie rods. It seems that oem tie rods on the blaster are a bit weak compared to others. On two seperate occasions I have broke one on a spring ride. Now I make sure they are still good before i shut er down for the winter.

Also too if you live in a cold region your jetting will need to be changed to compensate for the colder denser air.

dude if you have never ridden in the snow, you should deffinitly do that lol.... probably the most fun all year

well snow is fun to ride in. If you have rocky trails the snow smooths everything out. Donuts!!! Not like it's hard to slide the rear end around on a blaster to start with, but the snow makes it even easier.

Not that it's really legal or even a good idea but in MS and HS my friends and I used to tool around town when it was snowing, even blast right downtown past the police station in the snow....they can't catch you!! We used to drive towns and towns away, just on the roads....none of our quads were registered or any of that such nonsense!! Again, I'm not recommending that you do this, in most areas it's probably not exactly legal (although it's a ton of fun!!).

I'm a huge fan of going really fast on a straight away and then locking up the tires around a corner and slamming into a snow bank sideways!! It's just snow...Then you get off and pull the quad out and do it all over again!

Oh yeah, hole shots (and other holeshot-like treads) don't do so well in the snow. The stock tires aren't too bad in the snow. Tires like realtors and such rock in the snow!! Not sure how well a blaster would do but getting a rope, tieing one end to the back of the quad and tying a stick to the other end (or you can get fancy, take a length of rope and tie it to both ends of the stick and make a thing like a waterski rope, and pull some friends behind you on a sled or tube...that's a freakin blast!! Not such a good idea in tight trails though...

no maintenance over the whole sping/summer. I know its a 2 stroke but you have to take care of it. Clean your air filter, change your tranny oil and deffently clean your tranny. You prolly have sucked some dirt in there if you havent cleaned your air filter all summer. That may help your idle problem as well.