Winter budget build

rtaylor15

Apr 14, 2010
Edmonton, Ab
I am planning on starting my winter build tomorrow. Not doing a whole lot to the blaster this winter but do have this planned:

PAINT: frame, a-arms, swing arm, rims

READY TO PUT ON: +3 swing arm(need to paint), ltz400 rear shock(need to polish), banshee axle(still need brake hub), holeshot rear tires,new 14t/40t sprockets, new white brothers air filter, thumb throttle with new grips and new chain to fit swinger.

WISH LIST: exhaust system(haven't decided what one),yfz450 heel guards, front bumer, rear grab bar, air scoops, new front shocks(banshee) and maybe new plastics

also want to remove TORS and oil injection block off kit install. very excitted to get this started! any and all advice will be welcomed and appreciated!!

Last edited:
make sure u do serious prep on the frame and a-arms or u will regret even doing it when it looks bad after a week. i am going through it now, i am sure i will see the benifits later.

as for the exhaust i say f7 for room to grow into

i get 3 weeks off work for x-mas so i am planning on doing the prepping/painting during the break so i have no excuse to rush or half ass it. so b4 i start leave (dec18) i want to have the bike completly stripped down. giving myself lots of time so i do as good of a job that i can, being this will be my first time doing anything like this. thank you for the advice!

well got some progress done today. everything off the frame except the engine out, steering stem and handle bars off. started cleaning up the plastics, shocks and swing arm.

will grab a couple here now. the frame with what is still on it is still out in the shed, but i can get a couple pics of other parts for everyone, give me a couple mins.

ab4die.jpg

the rear shock
33eslj8.jpg

some of the parts i took off today/new ones waiting to be put on.

just so ya know, your gonna hate that rear shock......i believe 3 members besides you have gotten this shock and hated it......you should have stuck to the main shocks, the 250r, or the 400ex

relax its the same exact showa shock. the z400 is valved slightly heavier and that is it. i dont get why people always bash on it... they are the same!!!!!!! the z400 knocked the 400ex off the top of production ATVs because of its better valved SUSPENSION and better power plant... I quote form ATV Sport magazine, i can dig the article out if no one believes me. sorry to rant on your thread rtaylor15 . the shock will work excellent hypothetically better than a 400ex. as for your build my eyes will be peeled to you cant wait to see a finished product! thanks for your support on my build, i will return the favor

Don't worry about what everyone else says, adjust it the best you can and enjoy it. I heard the same thing about my choice of a 450r shock during my first build, guess what, it was the best mod I ever spent my money on. You be the judge, it's your quad.
Anyways looking good, keep the pics and progress coming!;)

i was not bashing him or the shock at all, SEEING HOW WE HAVE A z400 too, but anyway, there alot stiffer on the blaster then the 400ex thats all, now if you weigh alot then i guess you wont have to worry about it as much, soooooo start eating I:I ha

good luck on the budget build lol. i was goin for the same thing but its kinda hard to do it on a budget and be on here...to many wants

I just bought the same shock. Haven't got it yet but I read that it was valved a little heavier. That was one reason I bought it, to carry my heavy ass....lol

good luck on the budget build lol. i was goin for the same thing but its kinda hard to do it on a budget and be on here...to many wants

lol i know what you mean there!! very hard to keep within the budget when you see things on here go up for sale for good prices you all of a sudden make room in the budget for it lol the only thing keeping me from buying stuff now is x-mas.