Which Bike?

Herpderplol

BRRAAAAAAAAAPP
Aug 22, 2012
Dickinson, ND
My main question is, Which 250 s-smoker bike has the cheapest engine modifications and fixes?

I know i could do a lot of research, and compare parts etc etc

But its faster and easier to ask you guys :D I:I :D

Im wondering this because i really like bansheedave's hybrid, and would like to do one of my own over the summer and next winter (granted this one ends).

I will be moving into town beginning of June in Dickinson ND. And wont have many chances to go riding. My dad told me there are a few places with a 45+ min drive, so those would be weekend rides, not every day.

Im leaning towards honda, because i know they make reliable engines, never owned a dirt bike, but everything else from then works fabulously.

On craigslist:
yz for $750 (some assembly on motor, but new top end, crank and bearings)
cr for $1100 says lightly used, looks good
kx for $1250 new top last year, just sits in garage, really clean

I tried looking on crashedtoys, but they switched to coparts and the site messed me up

Anyways, thanks in advance I:I

Last edited:
i've heard the kawi engines have the front sprocket spaced in the right positon for easier swapping into an atv frame ?
but i wouldn't even consider anything but a yamaha engine in a yamaha frame.

i've heard the kawi engines have the front sprocket spaced in the right positon for easier swapping into an atv frame ?

does it just feel wrong to put some other brand in it?? :p

With the bike swinger being skinnier, you can move the engine side to side a little bit, just by welding the brackets to the side a little.

You can see it on daves first picture of it with the motor in. There looks to be about 2 inches of open bolt to slide over on. But cant because of front mounts obviously.

And no offense harley, i didnt really ask what you would/like to swap in

I have to agree with awk. Stick with yamaha. I own 3 honda 250 engines. trx250r atc250r and cr250r. And they give me 0 problems. But honda and yamaha dont go together.

Hondas a great bikes, my friends cr85 is a 2003 or 2004 & it needs its first top end finally. I'd never say no to a Honda engine (unless it's in a car) but Yamaha makes fantastic 2 strokes as well. I'd stick between those two, someone else I know has a Kawi 85 and I haven't heard of catastrophic problems but in my opinion YZ or CR

Look at which one has less performance parts. A raced out bike means a bike that has most likely been beat on by someone who needs the power, a stock bike usually means a more relaxed rider

you can move the motor from side to side a little bit. you are very limited because you have to line the sprockets up. if the sprockets don't line up, you will have major reliability issues no matter what motor you run. the only reason I went with a Honda, it was the only one 125 I could get. you also have the ability to move the motor up and down while in the first stages of the build with motor mounts.