Whhhhhyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

DeJay126

Apr 7, 2012
Leechburg, PA
www.facebook.com
So I decided today would be a good day to take the blaster out since it's been snowing a lot.... I get her all warmed up and set out on my voyage. I immediately notice that blasters aren't very good in 8 inches of snow.. but I push on. I start going up the hill behind my sisters house and have her in 2nd gear almost WOT... all of the sudden she loses power... I downshift to accommodate.. she picks back up a little... then all of the sudden BRRrrrr... she bogs down.. I try to kick start her and it's harder than usual... second kick is harder and i know somethings wrong... third kick she wont budge.... WTF?! Rebuild time is here... FML!

Oh No!

Sounds like you were running lean. Always remember to jet accordingly when the seasons change!

Keep us posted on the engine rebuild process, and find out what actually caused it to blow.

Reactions: DeJay126
Wow! If you did some reading up , you would be riding right now.

It's not that I didn't do the reading up... I just forgot... and I wont ever take that thing back out in the snow... I came to the conclusion during my 5 minute ride that they aren't made for snow... this hill wasn't even really a hill and it couldn't make it up with new tires

You can ride a Blaster in the snow. Your just have to JET it for the air temp. People that know how to tune and take care of there Blaster ride them in the snow all the time.

You can ride a Blaster in the snow. Your just have to JET it for the air temp. People that know how to tune and take care of there Blaster ride them in the snow all the time.

I get what you're saying there big guy... but the fact of the matter is that they suck in the snow.. I have brand new tires and 8 inches of snow... it barely moved... maybe on a flat surface it would run alright... but how much fun is riding in a flat field

I know that this won't help you now,but this is a good reason to always jet "Fat" to be on the safe side. Why run as lean as you can? Makes no sense. Jetting "fatter" will also give a better ring seal from the extra oil,plus better lubrication.

I get what you're saying there big guy... but the fact of the matter is that they suck in the snow.. I have brand new tires and 8 inches of snow... it barely moved... maybe on a flat surface it would run alright... but how much fun is riding in a flat field

It takes some practice. You have to learn how to slip the clutch, work the throttle and shift your weight .

Welp, Wont be practicing until next winter hahaha... what would you guys recommend for around 400 and who should I go with... I've heard good and bad things about oconner, but dont really know of any other good shops... I live by Pittsburgh, PA.

Welp, Wont be practicing until next winter hahaha... what would you guys recommend for around 400 and who should I go with... I've heard good and bad things about oconner, but dont really know of any other good shops... I live by Pittsburgh, PA.

You won't have to spend as much as you think if you can do most of the labor yourself,such as washing off the bike FIST,both top and bottom,disassembling the top end,inspecting the parts,then re-assembling the fresh bored cylinder and piston,leak check befor starting,etc.
There are lots of good honest shops out there! AWK08 had a list of them not to long ago. Perhaps he'll chime in and throw the list up again. Ken does great work,and also shows us alot. Take it for what its worth. I do good work too.
Wait until the list gets posted (or go find it...its on here some where) and get educated by making some phone calls. Write down all your questions first,and also write down all your modifications that you already have,that way you won't forget anything,and the person you call won't miss anything either. Its very helpful for both parties.

It sucks when you hang up the phone and you say to yourself..."Damn it...I forgot to ask about..."