whats this? and

89blaster89

Aug 26, 2011
Pacific northwest, washington
well first off i was wondering what this hole is on the right side of my stock carb...theres threads in it but nothing there, i never noticed it before, its the hole next to the green tube.
i3bb4w.jpg

also. i had a 310 main jet in and i would put in a spark plug, then let it idle to warm up, then ride around in 1st or 2nd gear for a minute or so, then come back to a stop and then it idle then it would jus die, i pulled the plug out and and it was all wet and shiny and tanish colored, so i thought it was to large of a jet, so i put in a 300 and cleaned off the plug as best i could got all the wet off it and just got it as clean as i could, i put it in and it would idle for a sec then die. so can you clean fowled plugs and resuse them? also i just installed a new 03 and up headlight onto my 1989 and its 35 watt my old was 45 watt. and this on the light turned on for a sec when i had a clean plug then after it died i started it back up and it was running a lil rough from the fowled plug and the light wont turn on unless i hold the throttle WOT. EDIT: my elevation is 250 feet above see level, it used to idle fine when i had the 300 main in, then i swithced to 310 main then switched back to 300 and now it wont idle and the plugs are all wet

Ive cleaned and re used plugs before. You have to clean them reeeaalllyy well other wise itll run like sh*t

well first off i was wondering what this hole is on the right side of my stock carb...theres threads in it but nothing there, i never noticed it before, its the hole next to the green tube.
i3bb4w.jpg

also. i had a 310 main jet in and i would put in a spark plug, then let it idle to warm up, then ride around in 1st or 2nd gear for a minute or so, then come back to a stop and then it idle then it would jus die, i pulled the plug out and and it was all wet and shiny and tanish colored, so i thought it was to large of a jet, so i put in a 300 and cleaned off the plug as best i could got all the wet off it and just got it as clean as i could, i put it in and it would idle for a sec then die. so can you clean fowled plugs and resuse them? also i just installed a new 03 and up headlight onto my 1989 and its 35 watt my old was 45 watt. and this on the light turned on for a sec when i had a clean plug then after it died i started it back up and it was running a lil rough from the fowled plug and the light wont turn on unless i hold the throttle WOT. EDIT: my elevation is 250 feet above see level, it used to idle fine when i had the 300 main in, then i swithced to 310 main then switched back to 300 and now it wont idle and the plugs are all wet

I believe that hole is where an idle screw would go if the idle screw wasn't on top of the tors unit like when you use a tors delete cap you drill and tap that hole and put a screw in it to control idle. I don't know for sure though so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

when a 2 stoke plug actually "fouls", it is from oil getting up in between the electrode and porcelien, causing it to spark internally, instead of externally as intended.
the only way i have found to fix a fouled plug, is to cook the oil out with a propane torch, heating all around the tip and threads, you'll see yellow flame when the oil starts to "cook out" and burn, then only blue flame when it is gone

i actually found this out on the trails years ago, my buddy's kx80 fouled a plug miles from home, and i cooked it over a fire on a stick...we made it home !

that hole on your carb should not be open to the inside, poke something in there to be sure, it must be for some other application yamaha/ect. used the same carb for ?

ok the hole isint open...not sure what its for and what would you say on my jet size, ive heard i need to be at 320 or higher and ive heard i need to be at 280??im at 300 now and about to plug chop, what would you say about the headlight...

under 300 on the main, prolly in the 270-290 range
depending on elevation
plug chop to confirm

check the voltage to the headlight while revving it, might have a bad regulator
the troubleshooting is prolly in the manual, seach on here for it

is that on a blaster ????
looks like maybe the switch out of the tors box on top of the carb ????

yes, lower elevation requires richer jetting than higher elevation

o so its just some old part on the tors...

yes. theres probably an opening next to where the throttle cable goes into the housing on the bars where that wire use to go in. you will want to close that up if its not already so dirt doesnt get in there. i used a piece of rubber from a tire and it looks factory. you would never know it wasnt supposed to be there but you can also use rtv or some type of silicone. pretty much anything that will keep water and dirt out of there

yes. theres probably an opening next to where the throttle cable goes into the housing on the bars where that wire use to go in. you will want to close that up if its not already so dirt doesnt get in there. i used a piece of rubber from a tire and it looks factory. you would never know it wasnt supposed to be there but you can also use rtv or some type of silicone. pretty much anything that will keep water and dirt out of there

i dont have that since i have a twisty throttleI:I

oh yeah also when you pull the plug after letting it idle and stuff and its all shiny and wet does that mean im rich, also does lower elevation mean higher main jets and vice versa

The main jet has absolutly nothing to do with idle, if you are just puttering around in second and it dies at idle, you either have the idle set wrong, or the float level is incorrect, or it is flooding.

Float level should 20 to 21.5mm on a stock carby.

4785-float-height.jpg

Idle adjusting.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a fast idle.

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs to allow the motor to respond.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .
......................................................................................

As to the globe, and I am not trying to be smart, did you replace it with a 6 volt globe.

Last edited: