What's the differnce between Hot Shot Series CDI Box or advancing your timing

lasxgames

Feb 4, 2009
Minnesota
www.hookit.com
Hot Shot Series CDI Box

CDI box enhancements include duplicator circuits, increases rpm redline and alters ignition advance curves.

Advance curve allows faster and higher revs. Unit is designed to enhance over all performance when installed with a high flow jet kit.

Hot Shot Series CDI Box

CDI box enhancements include duplicator circuits, increases rpm redline and alters ignition advance curves.

Advance curve allows faster and higher revs. Unit is designed to enhance over all performance when installed with a high flow jet kit.

The "Hot Shot" CDI is said to <advance> the timing curves, estimation is an electronic *1 to *2, give or take. This advancement will burn a little more fuel hence the recommendation to re-jet, to take full advantage. This is not the same thing as manually slotting/advancing your timing via the std *4 mod.

BUT, when running this CDI with the AMR Monster Coil it does make for an all around better curve, makes better power sooner, and stronger hits on the mid, etc. I am very happy with the combo, definitely a good upgrade for the money.

Last edited:
Yeah, but even Rick's says that they don't make a Hot Shot box for the Blaster. Are you saying that you feel their OEM box is still an improvement?

Yes, and that link you sent was from early 2008 re: rick's CDI's. The newer available "Hot Shot" series for the blaster on ebay, etc, is basically just a stock blaster CDI with 70k volt instead of 50k, slight timing curves over stock and no rev limiter, definitely a better product.

Substantial performance increase? No...
Good, upgraded replacement over stock alleviating rev limiter, etc? Yes...

With a hot fire coil this allows for at least 30-34% increase in overall plug fire, cleaner internals due to more balanced burn, etc, and again a good upgrade over stock. There does not seem to be a "like" unit for the 03+, most likely due to the updated TORS, Ebrake kill, lower rev limiter, etc, different CDI's completely.

BUT, for 1989-2002 riders, if you need to replace your CDI, these are decent upgrades over your stock 50k volt CDI.

This is the product I am referring too, ie:

"HotShot CDI"

Last edited by a moderator:
why waste your money just do the +4 mod

AND, agree... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I only went with these products due to having fire issues, spark, etc and wanted to replace both CDI and COIL, figured I would try the more "higher performance" products over stock replacements...

Decent products, feel it was worth it for $115 for both CDI and Monster COIL, I am happy...

But, a manual stator advancement is only gonna make things better. I:I

AND, agree... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I only went with these products due to having fire issues, spark, etc and wanted to replace both CDI and COIL, figured I would try the more "higher performance" products over stock replacements...

Decent products, feel it was worth it for $115 for both CDI and Monster COIL, I am happy...

But, a manual stator advancement is only gonna make things better. I:I

i guess if you need a new box and coil get the better one if not just do the timing mod its sweet

look up the diy timing mod its easy.....the most you need to buy is a flywheel puller 15 on ebay....if you dont have one

save your money and just do the mod....

AGAIN, Agreed.... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just do the mod YB talks about. It is free, easy and the most straight forward/productive way to advance your timing. The CDI parts swap out is only good if you NEED to change the parts, which I did for the project I was working with. It was a good mod and definitely advanced the curves, but again I needed a CDI and decided to do the upgraded coil as well.