whats the biggest rear tire for the blaster

Vermont Woods

Feb 10, 2010
Hey guys, as you know I live in Vermont (I would hope you would know from my name)... I am HOPEFULLY getting another blaster this weekend FINGERS CROSSED. I am looking to get BIG tires for the rear as I have some pretty hairy trails near my house.. I want to have a good high stance for it... Also do they make "lift kits" for blasters that would help me out at all? Cheaper the better but I am open to all that you have to inform me about... Pictures and links as to where I can order them is a plus too! Thanks guys..

maybe even bigger shocks? I dont know I am just trying to make it so it can get through some technical trails some rocks, mud, (no water), hill climbs etc..

most guys just run like a 22 on the front and 20 on the rear i believe for harescramble stuff which is technical trail stuff. i have 22's front and rear on mine and it sits up in the air by a ways

The lowest spot on the blaster is under the sprocket and brake disc on the rear axle. Only way to add clearance there is getting bigger tires, but I wouldn't go bigger than 22 inch tires, anything over that seems overkill and would add more rotational mass to turn.

do you guys have pictures or links that you can send me of your tires? Thanks for the info on clearance that just proves my prediction.

Heres a shot of 22" Razr's on back.
Too tall IMO,
and a shot of 22" Bear claws- they sit right.
Finally w/ 20" Dominators.
All 3 have Maxxis 22" front pro's up front.
Be aware that different manufacturers have different sizes, not all 22" tires are the same height.
Hope this helps.

DSCF3620.jpg

DSCF3539.jpg

P7040017.jpg

Wow I love the look of the first two pictures (for my own style of riding here in the mountains of Vermont)... I also found these but they aren't in 8" rim (correct me if I am wrong but aren't blaster rims 8"?)

ITP Blackwater ATV Tire 22-12.5-10, ATV, Tires & Tubes, ATV Tires, ITP at Bob's Cycle Supply.

They look really very aggressive and they are cheap only 29.00

Yeah stock Blasty rims are 8".
Maybe find some 10" rims.
That's a great price for those tires but you better have a lil front sproket, good clutch and some power for them.

what about the specs on those tires I found... If I ordered that exact tire size what rim would I need to purchase to make them work with the blaster? 10" rim by..?

I had some 24x8x12's on the front (12x6 Polaris Sportsman front rims)with ASR+3 arms and raptor shocks (15.75" eye-eye). I have a +4 swingarm with a YFZ450 shock. Talk about ground clearance! Still got hung up on the sprocket/disc hub though. Really, REALLY good for log hopping though! I'm toning it down this year though. Back to stock shocks (for now), 22x7x10 Maxxis iRazrs, and a lower mount for the rear shock. Why? The tall stance really hurts handling and the huge front tires on steel rims were freakin HEAVY. Very noticeble as it's all unsprung weight. I wouldn't go more than 22" in the rear, and with appropriate gearing reduction for the front/rear sprocket.

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

I was rocking 22" mud lites on the blaster that got stolen and they rocked. I got them because I'm more into woods riding than tooling around in sand pits and such and they were great for that. Basically taking the blaster through 4x4 trails, rocky, muddy woods.

I've heard the blackwaters are good but I duno about for the sport quads, because they are heavy. I think those tires are discontinued.

ITP Mud lites would probably be your best bet as they are pretty light while being 6ply.

My sig pic is the blaster with 22" mud lites.

Also, any bigger and you'd need an extedned swinger, as the tires were pretty close to the things behind the pegs. With stock wheels and no spacers the tires rubbed on the side of the part of the metal thing behind the pegs when I was going around corners until I clearanced them.

I was considering picking up a set of those same ones....a guy on craigslist in I think like chelmsford, MA (near Lowell) is or was selling a set on wheels for 50!! I have too many as is, and kinda want to hold out till I have the funds for mud lites.

Where in VT do you live? I have some 22 turf tamers you could have for cheap if you want them. Ill never use them, i ride in sand 90% of time up here.