What's another good beast to add to the family?

piezzi

Mar 19, 2008
I love my blaster and I have no plans to sell it. It's fun to ride, and it's easy and cheap to mod.

I have a boat I'm gonna ask $3000 for and likely settle for something slightly above $2000. I'm open to trades for this boat, and at the same time, I'd also like to have just a little bit bigger framed quad....with a touch more power.

So I'm looking for a relatively low cost quad in the 250-450cc range. Reliable and cheap to mod would be nice too.

I saw in the sticky poll that a lot of other blaster owners also ride banshees YFZ'z and EX's.

Keeping in mind that I maintain and mod everything I can myself, and I'm not sure if I want all that a banshee's top-end has to offer, can anybody provide some good guidance on which quad(s) would be a good candidate to look to trade for???

I'm also open to an older 250R.

What do you guys think?

Recap: good price, reliable, cheap to mod, easy to maintain, and a little bigger size & power than the blaster.

Am I asking too much?

Thanks!

LT250Rs are pretty fun to ride. also Banshees, or LT500R.

keep it 2-stroke and you can't go wrong.

agreed ^^^^^^^

but even tho i hate 4 strokes a 400ex wouldnt be bad ethier. :) cant belive i just said that :(

forogot to mention if ur shee is anything like mine its not trail friendly at all by any means :( mine is basiclly a straight line ride lol

good to know....thanks.

last year I got my lady a 2004 250ex after getting a lot of good feedback here about what a rock solid "starter" quad it is. So I'd be open to a 400ex.

I love my blaster and I have no plans to sell it. It's fun to ride, and it's easy and cheap to mod.

I have a boat I'm gonna ask $3000 for and likely settle for something slightly above $2000. I'm open to trades for this boat, and at the same time, I'd also like to have just a little bit bigger framed quad....with a touch more power.

So I'm looking for a relatively low cost quad in the 250-450cc range. Reliable and cheap to mod would be nice too.

I saw in the sticky poll that a lot of other blaster owners also ride banshees YFZ'z and EX's.

Keeping in mind that I maintain and mod everything I can myself, and I'm not sure if I want all that a banshee's top-end has to offer, can anybody provide some good guidance on which quad(s) would be a good candidate to look to trade for???

I'm also open to an older 250R.

What do you guys think?

Recap: good price, reliable, cheap to mod, easy to maintain, and a little bigger size & power than the blaster.

Am I asking too much?

Thanks!

If you are doing trail riding than any of the 450s will be in your price range, but I'd stay away from the Suzuki(made for MX), earlier YFZs(cooling issues), and the KTM is out of your price range. You might be able to snag an Outlaw 525. The IRS is really comfy on trails, but I don't really prefer it for when you are going fast through them.

Well....there are trails and dirt roads, but in the SoCal desert you can go off trail at anytime. It's not like riding through tight trees where there's not a lot of trail width.

I'd prefer to stick with a Honda or Yamaha, but I'm open to hear about others.

well if you have a lot of straights an love the power of a 2 stroke :) id go for a banshee then :) like i was saying about mine its not TREE trail friendly lol.. stuff like ur talkin about it would be fun with.. i still cant get mine to hook up good until i get new tires

Well....there are trails and dirt roads, but in the SoCal desert you can go off trail at anytime. It's not like riding through tight trees where there's not a lot of trail width.

I'd prefer to stick with a Honda or Yamaha, but I'm open to hear about others.

I think it's more of a question of what you WOULDN'T want in a quad if that's the case. I mean even the 450s are cheap to mod if you look for used parts. About the only thing that rapes you is going aftermarket with chassis stuff......which you really don't need to do in most cases. Exhausts are the most expensive thing, but getting one used isn't hard, and the engine work doesn't cost any more than a Blaster as long as you do the labor.

Lots of good advice here from what I can see. I'll throw in my .02 as well, I guess... Like everyone's saying, a Banshee is a Hell of a lot of fun and they can be made into decent trail quads, but it takes a lot of suspension work to get one to handle decently. I said decently, not great. lol. That being said, as long as you're not winding through narrow trails, a 'Shee will be the best bang for the buck.

If I were you, I'd trade for a Banshee if you're riding in the open a lot, or perhaps a nice 400ex with some aftermarket parts already installed. A 400ex isn't as fast as the newer 450's, but it still moves well and the air-cooled engine is relatively simple to work on.

Previous to starting this thread I had been looking at the 400-450ex's, YFZ450's, and the 250r's. I'll throw the banshee back on my target list, but with the caveat that it's gotta have upgraded suspension.

Thanks for the input, guys!

honestly for a 'trail quad' with lots of speed.... im gonna put it this way...

trx250r or lt250r!! nice lt250rs can be had for under 1800 atleast here anyways, they handle better than a banshee right out of the box and stock for stock will out run a banshee, and that wil leave you some extra money for mods..

simple as this... change the front shocks , put a pipe on it, fmfs can be had cheap and work good on stock or mild machines, bar risers ( bars fell low to me in stock form) a wider axle, one up front sproket.. should get ya around 73-75 mph top speed, and still get there quick..

i love my lt250r on the river, and open areas... on the river i was out running honda 450r's on a roll, ( i was spinning threw 1-2-3 once i hookd up i was gone!!! )

it all really depends on what you ultimatly want out of it?? want something snappy right out of the box thats comfortable for long rides? or something fast and need a little work for long rides??? comfy ya cant go wrong with a newer 4 stroke full auto quad.... just look into all the machines you would like and see what will get done what you want..

im telling you right now... you may love your blaster but if you throw a leg over alt250r thats healthy or a trx250r you may never go back to the baster

Yfzs do not not have cooling problems. 04 and 05s need a oil upgrade. There's a guy on ebay that charges 200 for it and does it the right way and does very good work, but it does not sound like a yfz would be good for you. Sounds like its Out of your price range you listed.

Yfzs do not not have cooling problems. 04 and 05s need a oil upgrade. There's a guy on ebay that charges 200 for it and does it the right way and does very good work, but it does not sound like a yfz would be good for you. Sounds like its Out of your price range you listed.

..............which would lead to cooling problems. :-/