What to do next?

Blaner

Your Friendly South African Ambassador
Mar 26, 2008
East London, South Africa
i guys, just a casual question: I have a not so bad a problem!

I dont know what to do next to my blaster! It is as stated in my sig and is going well with no hassle. Now that I have a bit of income, I can finally get a few goodies, but I really dont know where to start!

Long term goal is to get the 240 kit ported with a right bend pipe, 35mm Air stryker and a cfm airbox, lightened flywheel.

I also want to edit my foot pegs and work some 450 pegs onto the blaster mounts and get some raptor heel gaurds.

Any idea of where to start???
I:I

Already got a Vitos kit, but im wary of it...it needs a bore and Id much prefer a LA kit. may I can try sell it locally and then get a LA Sleeve kit

Already got a Vitos kit, but im wary of it...it needs a bore and Id much prefer a LA kit. may I can try sell it locally and then get a LA Sleeve kit

Hey Blaner, good to hear from you!
I have one of those Vitos 240 jugs too. Have not run it yet.
Look good, Boyesens, triple exhausts, all sorts of ports.
Only thing I don't like is very little compression distance (duration) from the top of the exhaust port.

Well, you know if you sell it you will never know if the darned thing is any good or not.
I'd use it. For the cost of a piston you will know if the jug and porting are any good, plus you'll get more for it if you do sell.
I figure I can run the piston a mm or so out of the jug with no basegasket if I don't like the port timing duration.
You did well with a 1mm spacer so you might like it as is.

The Vitos head chamber is krap. We (Neil-Triplecrown and I) will try it stock but I plan to cut a head for it based on what I find.

I figure wringing out the 240 jug will keep you busy for a few months, different basegasket heights, heads and all.
Will give us lots to talk about too. Really glad to see you back!

Goede dag mijnheer!

Steve

282831_10151385064545803_172670694_n.jpg

Hey Blaner, good to hear from you!
I have one of those Vitos 240 jugs too. Have not run it yet.
Look good, Boyesens, triple exhausts, all sorts of ports.
Only thing I don't like is very little compression distance (duration) from the top of the exhaust port.

Well, you know if you sell it you will never know if the darned thing is any good or not.
I'd use it. For the cost of a piston you will know if the jug and porting are any good, plus you'll get more for it if you do sell.
I figure I can run the piston a mm or so out of the jug with no basegasket if I don't like the port timing duration.
You did well with a 1mm spacer so you might like it as is.

The Vitos head chamber is krap. We (Neil-Triplecrown and I) will try it stock but I plan to cut a head for it based on what I find.

I figure wringing out the 240 jug will keep you busy for a few months, different basegasket heights, heads and all.
Will give us lots to talk about too. Really glad to see you back!

Goede dag mijnheer!

Steve

282831_10151385064545803_172670694_n.jpg

Goeie morê meneer Best!

I see you attemp at Afrikaans led you down the dutch avenue...not to worry, its close enough :)

you make a good point regarding the 240, maybe I must run with it and test it out.

I will of course clean up the intake ports as they still have the flat divider wall, but I am impressed with the port arrangement etc.

I will have to find someone to do the head again, last time I made a template and gave to it a machinist who does all the Volkwagen Cup engines in SA, but to be honest I wasnt all that impressed with his work...

il have to fiddle around with base gaskets and such, my previous barrel I skimmed the surface to compentsate for the base gasket and to reduce my squish...once its skimmed its skimmed though.

Ik weet niet Afrikaans, but spent a few summers in Den Haag as a teen. Learned about mooie meisjes.
Worked with ZA troopers for a short time in the army.
They seemed to know about mooie meisjes too, so I figured dutch must be close.

The real beauty of these machines is the absolute simplicity of them.
This makes them a breeze to work on. I have learned so much from my son's Blaster.
No coolant to drain, no rad to get out of the way, no timing chain to worry about.
We put a cylinder on, try it, swap on another. Then swap heads or file 0.5mm off to try that.
So much easier than my KTM's or 4 strokes.

I would take advantage of that if I was you (cuz we have and learned a lot from it!).
Put it together stock, baseline it for what it does, then change one thing at a time.
We shoved the cylinder up and down, planed the head progressively smaller, and tried porting mods a bit at a time.
Doing one mod at a time teaches a lot.

Steve

Haha yes I know about Mooi meisies! Yes Afrikaans is based on dutch so its similar. but not the same :)

Since I have a spare motor now, perhaps it will be worth going the one step at a time method as you suggest, ive already racked up some experience with the spacer plat but have never tried dropping the cylinder.

One thing im not sure of off the top of my head is the port timing of the Vitos jug compared to a stock barrel. Is it much the same?

No, My Vitos is not the same timing. Looks short from exhaust port to top.
Neil tells me he thinks there are 3 levels of Vitos cyinder/porting, so not sure what we have.

Dropping cyinder (no base gasket, head to match) made a tractor motor out of it.
No stalling on the hill climbs even in 3rd, smooth idle, idle away no throttle in 3rd.
Top power was down due to limited revs, but she was gutsy! Lots of grunt.
Felt great at mid throttle, mid revs but fell flat when you wanted to scream.
What a difference a mm can make.

Steve