What should i do?

blasterboy32

Jan 9, 2012
harrisburg, pennsylvania
The rings in my vito's 240 BBK went bad and the cylinder is definatly going to need honed and most likely bored. It is a stock cylinder right now no port work or anything. I also have a stock cylinder that you can still see the cross hatching in. It doesnt look like it was ever run i got it with the previous owner and im wondering if maybe i should just put the motor back together with the stock cylinder. It is ported but it doesnt look professional but if its good port work from what i hear it will smoke a stock BBK. Is this true? This option will also save me money at the machine shop and a stock piston doesnt cost anywhere as close to what a 72.5 mm piston seems to cost. All i would need to put it back to stock is gaskets,piston and rings. the 240 cylinder would need to be machined and i dont really have the extra money and if i ported stock cylinder is better than a stock big bore ill put that on because i definatly dont have money to have the vito's cylinder ported. to make this easier to understand my questions are

Is a ported stock cylinder faster/more powerful than a stock Vitos cylinder BB?

Is the hone on the cylinder pictured good to use?

Is that port job half decent?

How much would i have to jet down if i go back to the stock cylinder?

is my head stock or modified? the dome's are very different between the vitos's and stock one. is the stock one machined at all or are they just that different in the first place? The stock one is the one that is completly black.

Also in the vid of the connecting rod is that too much side to side movement? There is no up and down movement.

crank movement - YouTube

Also heres a link to more pics of the stuff i was talking about
http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/blasterboy32/blaster engine/

Attachments

• 13353109798236.jpg
    13353109798236.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 13353109791013.jpg
    13353109791013.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 13353109789622.jpg
    13353109789622.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 13353109795354.jpg
    13353109795354.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 13353109797065.jpg
    13353109797065.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 107
have that stocker measured by a pro, he'll tell you if the bore is good and what piston it needs
set the vito's aside till another day

Thanks for the advice. im gonna put the stocker back on. ill save money and have a faster blaster at the same time. Is that a decent port job though?

hard to tell, the pics were small for me ???
i saw some attention the the transfer dividers, but couldn't make out anything on the intake or exhaust

either way, $$$ dictate using the good cylinder right now, any ride is better than no ride any dayI:I

hard to tell, looks stock to me ???

yes the stock head looks identical to a vitos. but the vitos does not have the y-1 symbol on the underside of the head. also just cause that cylinder looks like its never been run doesnt mean it hasnt been get a engine shop to measure and make sure of the bore size and that it is still in round.

Heres more pics of the hone and porting. is that a decent port job and is the hone ok to use. the cross hatching is very clear there are no signs that its been run. i really dont have extra money to get it honed again especially since it still looks ok. I didnt get a chance to have it measured today but ill ask the shop if they think the hone is good since they can see it in person

Attachments

• IMG179.jpg
    IMG179.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG178.jpg
    IMG178.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 13353109798236.jpg
    13353109798236.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 92
The port job looks a bit backyardish to me, it looks like a rat was trying to sharpen its teeth and gave up half way.

I looks like the transfers need some more work as well.

As to the hone, you may get away with it, but it looks a little light on to me, I prefer a good even covering of cross hatching to allow the rings to bed well.

A light hatch will not hold enough lubrication for the stresses of break in.

The intake maybe smooth but air flow will be hindered and turbulence created by the ledges and ridges.

The transfers look as if they are not smooth at the entry, and the chamferring seems inadequate ( but that may just be the angle of the pics that is confusing me).

The intake sizes look a little stockish, and wether port timing has been changed is hard to tell as I don't see the complete port.

It looks like a lame attempt at porting and polishing and I fear you will not get any appreicable power gain.