what do you think is this guy full of sh*t?

Ive heard this too. A guy who has a small shop bought 2 identical quads and ran one hard and putted the other one around to break them in. supposedly the one that was ran hard was way faster after the break in period. I heard this second hand from my foreman at work so I dont know about it.

You're igniting a firestorm with that one.

I can only tell you how I broke my engine in.... I let it idle for 3, 10 minute periods and cool down in between. Once it had cooled down the third time, I pulled it out of the garage and romped down on it and haven't really stopped since.

I don't have a control quad to compare it to but if you stop thinking of break-in how you've always been told, his process makes sense. Increased gas pressure helps the rings seat.

This method works well for small engines. Brand-new weedeaters and even riding mowers which I sell at work come with instructions to fuel them up and put them to work. I took my Stihl 4-stroke hybrid weedeater out of the box, gassed it up, and went to work. The throttle is seldom pinned, but that engine runs 6K plus RPM's during normal use.

Beyond that, I really can't speak from experience. You see all those freshly-built street engines on the dyno being run at or close to full power after only a few heat cycles, so its pretty safe to say that as long as you don't overheat anything, put it balls-to-the wall after those couple heat cycles and go!

i have built probably close to 100 harley engines over the years, and a number of various car engines, rebuilt my first sportster under my dads supervision when i was 9 yrs old.

i have broken in all but maybe 3 engines this way, and any that i do just the engine and hand the motor to the person, i have told them this same way.

when i brought home both of our 08 harleys, mine is an ultra classic, hers is a softail classic, they had syn3, harleys synthetic, told them at the dealer to get it out and put castrol motorcyle in it, the mechanics heads spun!

i thought this was the ONLY way to break in a 4 stroke.

have always done 2 strokers with the heat/cool/repeat method.

im thinking, since im older, and generaly have more money, i might try to do it on brians blaster when i put the ported head on it and see what happens., what do i got to lose? a piston/bore/gaskets and at the worse the crank bearings?

anyone ever hear of a mystery powder that you put in the cylinder before start-up, that helps seat the rings on initial start-up ???
the old member here "GTP" that i bought my sons blaster from swears by it, and uses it in every 2 stroke lawnmower he rebuilds as a side business
he swears way higher compressions versus ones he doesnt use this stuff,
i forget the name, but read up on it when he told me about it ???
it's theory sounded ok too, but i never used it

ive always suggested to everyone i build engines for,ride it like you would ride it any other time.When breaking a topend in you want to always keep a load on the engine or the rings are just not going to seat no matter how many times you heat it up and cool it down.

just my .02 cents

also,it shouldnt take anymore then maybe half a tank of gas to "break in" a topend if that

ive seen this before too and am undecided, what he says does make sense but im not a convert. Anyone that puts a pic of his head on his website and uses six different font colours and who knows how may font sizes has a attention issue and wants more it...by the looks of things, its working for him!

with that said, i think we need a martar to try this out and report on a blaster!

I've broken in a new motor on the motocross track before during practice. We get 4 laps of practice, used the first lap to break a new motor in when I raced my r. Never had a problem with the motor

anyone ever hear of a mystery powder that you put in the cylinder before start-up, that helps seat the rings on initial start-up ???
the old member here "GTP" that i bought my sons blaster from swears by it, and uses it in every 2 stroke lawnmower he rebuilds as a side business
he swears way higher compressions versus ones he doesnt use this stuff,
i forget the name, but read up on it when he told me about it ???
it's theory sounded ok too, but i never used it

ive heard of a mystery powder that helps you rebuild a motor in half the time hahahahaha :D. i jsut started out riding it a little then increased the intensity of the ride each time out for probally 7 or 8 runs then considered it good to go.

I've broken in a new motor on the motocross track before during practice. We get 4 laps of practice, used the first lap to break a new motor in when I raced my r. Never had a problem with the motor

/\/\/\/\
thats very common practice with the mx bike guys i know, but they re-ring quite a few times during the season also

a 2 stroke needs afew heat cycles before hammering it imo but my race car engines i make a light 600 ft pass then the next pass i spray it hard with the nitrous to seat the rings weve tried breaking our motors in without the nos also and the ones we spray right away make 25 - 40 psi more compression after the second pass

also the biggest thing that can ruin a new rebuild is an overly rich condition as the rings will never seat it will just wash em out and then ull always have a bunch of blowby

Get Ken to test it. Do a leak down test on both motors to see how long they hold there compression.

i'm more than sure, with over 30 years experience doing mx engines, ken already nows what works and what doesn't
when i was at kens, and fried jess' top-end, we rebuilt it that same day, did 3 heat cycles, and went ripping again, only 4 hours later,
i wished every fry job was only a 4 hour process to be riding again !!!!!!!

when we used to race go karts, there are many pro engine builders who are in that business of pushing the little 100cc and 125cc 2 strokes to the max. we had 3 kt100 karts, and we had 3 engine builders the first year to see which was the fastest, and all three engine builders told us to take the karts out, and on the longest straight, pin it, slow down, pin it, slow down as many times as you can for a lap or two, and then run it as if its a championship race. we didnt have any issues out of any of the three engines. so i personally do one or two heat cycles in my stuff, and then i run it like i'm gonna run it til it needs another rebuild