What do I do now...????

redhatman

Apr 20, 2008
Minnesota
pl-designs.tripod.com
I am stuck in a sucky situation to say the least. I bought this blaster a couple weeks ago, rode it for about 30 minutes and ever since it has not ran. I found out its low compression. You can easily wobble the piston in the sleeve, the engine makes around 80psi for compression. :/

Here are some pics of the bore (already .060 over from previous owner from what I found out). Normally, you would be able to bore to next size and get a new piston. If you look close enough you can see the inner ring on the jug, on the sleeve that it is uneven on the sides. I am not sure how you screw up a bore like that, but I do not know what to do.

RSCN2605.jpg

Here is the piston...ring is bent and piston has some gouges in it. rings would not move freely.

RSCN2610.jpg

RSCN2608.jpg

What should I do? I dont think the $100 for the gaskets and piston and such is worth it, plus the bore cost. That "slight" offcentered could be a huge problem and potentially ruin something. I really just want this thing to be running so i can ride it reliably. I am starting to regret buying it.

I am very tight on money. What is the best way to approach this?

i cant really tell how the cylinder walls look ... u may be able to get away with buying a new piston and rings ..

if u can wobble the piston inside the sleeve, u def need to rebore it, all that play in there is why ur rings were bent, they expanded out and caught one of the ports, the cylinder prolly has some gouges in that too, so just to be safe i would rebore it 1 or 2 sizes bigger, that should also straighten out the bore!

I dont see how you think it would straighten it out though. If you drill a hole off centered, and then keep making it bigger it will stay offcentered. And for something moving around 6k per minute, that little amount could throw something off.

i think a good machinist could take off the same amount on the other side without oblonging the cylinder, but going thru all that work u might as well buy another cylinder off ebay