Went to the dunes - need more power!!

doc_speeder

Feb 14, 2009
Lethbridge AB
So I just got back from a couple days at St Anthony dunes in Idaho. WOW!!! First time in the sand, it was AWESOME. My little 200cc Wildcard ported/rechambered motor worked surprisingly well, but I was really outgunned. My buddy was riding his piped/carbed Banshee. We swapped rides, and to be honest, the power was nice, but I really like the Blaster better for handling and light weight, as I have the suspension all done the way I like it. So I'm thinking engine swap...

I'm thinking a 310cc TRX 250r motor might be the ticket. They're pretty easy to find, loads of aftermarket support, and the deal maker: They're counterbalanced, unlike the 250cc motocross bikes. I figure it should fit OK, and I even think the pipe won't be a major issue to make fit.
Looks like they can be built to around 50hp pretty easy.
Any opinions? I'll ride the Blaster as is for the rest of the summer, and then sell off the Wildcard motor complete. The swap will be a winter project.

Has anyone tried this particular swap?
Again, I realize I could just buy the complete 250R, but I really like riding the Blaster, and I have lots of $$$ and time in the suspension and general setup, so I'd like to keep it.

when ever i went to the dunes i just went a tooth down in the front sprocket, all the motor work i had done to my bike was just port work and wiesco piston and i was doin fine keeping right up with the 400's no issues at all.. i was doin 80ft jumps with no issues at all clearing them, i was doing better than most of the bigger bikes due to the light weight of the blaster

You do realize that blasters can be built up to 50 hp as well right? Get wildcard to set you up a big bore kit and stroke that mother.

Yeah, there are a few 50hp dyno queens, maybe...and if I went that route, Wildcard would get my work again. This little 200 is a hoot, and it's been dead-nuts reliable. I beat on it - HARD!

However, a 50hp Blaster is on the bleeding edge of being a royal PITA grenade most of the time, whereas a 50hp TRX motor is just barely more than a mild build. The extra CC's really play into this. They start off in stock form bigger than you can realistically build a Blaster mill.

As far as dropping a tooth on the countershaft and keeping up with 400's? 400's are weaksauce8-| I can already outrun 400 EX's.

Keeping up with mild 'Shees and Raptor 700's is more what I'm after.

It seems like a more natural fit for the Blaster chassis than some of the other water-cooled swaps people do. It's counterbalanced, and the pipe comes straight out the front and loops around the frame tubes. I'd rather not cut the frame if not absolutely necessary.
Also, they're very reliable and can make a TON of power ( and torque). There's amazing selection of cylinders, heads, cranks, pipes etc.

I'm going to give it some research, and likely proceed over this coming winter.

keeping up with a 400bore in the sand is sayin alot considering they have nothing but torque if your on a blasty dude.. shees and raptors own the dunes ur never gunna keep up with one of those unless you do a swap

A 50 hp blaster is right on the raggedy edge but a 40 hp blaster isn't... the LA sleeve kit in a stock stroke with the right carb and pipe puts out about 40 and it would be as reliable as a ported stock blaster you've already got.

Once you go with a hybrid, you're going down a rabbit hole it's not so easy to come back from.

That being said, I would like to see the work. Take bunches of pictures!

Once you go with a hybrid, you're going down a rabbit hole it's not so easy to come back from.

Yep, true statement. I'm going to have it well planned out before I dive into it. I think I've got all the fab stuff I'd need, and friends for the stuff I don't have:)

The only thing I'm worried about is being able to re-sell it - at some point - but it's a Blaster. It's already worth nothing!

What I don't want is a hack job when I'm done. It's going to be a slow, careful build if it goes ahead.

If it could turn out half as good as the YZ250 build that's on here right now, Id be pleased. That's a sweet build.B)

We just got back from the dunes , my blasty went everywhere, my bros gf has a 240 blaster and it went everywhere with ease . I imagine if you went with a stroker it would be only even better . Although it is nice having all that power in the banshee , it walks up anything

do the swap or put in a shee motor do not just hop up the blaster figure this if you make 50 or 40hp blaster it still wont outrun a shee or 250r now for all u guys that think i'm wrong sure a 40 or 50hp blasty will keep up with a shee but think of this who is going to outrun the other blasters will keep up in the littl gears but think of the big gears a shee or 250r are almost defiante to win and there both liquid cooled nuff said.....

Pretty accurate statement. A Hybrid is a constant engineering project.
Looks easy at the onset, but continual hurdles if you want it done right.
And I doubt any hybrid would be easy to sell.

That said, I do like the light weight (around 300 lbs) of my hybrid, and it
does handle sand hills very well, better than the 660 Raptor I used to own,
due to its light weigh and nimbleness. The Raptor was heavy, complicated
and expensive for all its torque.

Some hybrids are hard to understand.
If you put a Banshee motor in a Blaster, and then widen the track and
lengthen the wheelbase, what do you have that a Banshee doesn't
already do well? How much weight could you save using the Blaster over
a Banshee frame? 10 lbs? Certainly not 20.
Sometimes mountains just gotta be climbed, but...

I had a spare KTM motor, and I found a cheap Blaster with no motor.
But in retrospect, I really like the way my son's stock Blaster works.
A pipe, some porting, a bit more compression, bigger carb.
The first few ponies are the easiest and the cheapest and the most fun.
A few gentle mods wake up the engine and don't kill reliability.

That would be the way I'd go,
if I didn't just happen to have a spare KTM engine sitting around...

229206_10150236712600803_549110802_9083952_5649659_n.jpg

However, a 50hp Blaster is on the bleeding edge of being a royal PITA grenade most of the time, whereas a 50hp TRX motor is just barely more than a mild build. The extra CC's really play into this. They start off in stock form bigger than you can realistically build a Blaster mill.

Actually, a 3 mil stroker big bore kit is 246cc's and setup right a BEAST of an engine. Still air cooled and will weaken accordingly in the heat but a stout little beast.

get a motor out of a 700 raptor that should do the trick, as long as there are no hot shees out there

You think the worst end for a blaster is a part out death? Nope, toytech figured out a way to kill a blaster even worse than parting it out...

Actually, a 3 mil stroker big bore kit is 246cc's and setup right a BEAST of an engine. Still air cooled and will weaken accordingly in the heat but a stout little beast.

You think the worst end for a blaster is a part out death? Nope, toytech figured out a way to kill a blaster even worse than parting it out...

toytech would not do that to a blaster just being a smart as_. I had a 91 yz250 motor in my blaster, it viberated worse than a harley. so I took it out and put the blaster motor back in with some port work. It's my trail bike and my banshee is my dune bike, the blaster out performs the banshee in the tight trails and gets better fuel milage. but the shee is awsome at the dunes.

I'd go for the TRX250r motor, water cooled and light weight. You'll add the weight back with the cooling system, but that will help keep the front end down!

If you go that route, and you cant get a pipe to fit.. i can get you some calculations on a pipe and you guys can make 1. I made my own pipe for my old YT175 threewheeler, going to be making a blaster pipe soon.

So if anybody on here has a 250r, I'd like the measurement from the swingarm pivot bolt to the INSIDE of the "u" bend in the pipe. I'd like to start figuring out how this motor would work in a Blaster frame.

if i was you i would just do a longrod ct240 on pump gas. still pretty dependable and crazy fast for a blaster