Weird Wiseco piston

Jesse8931

Feb 29, 2012
So I ordered a new piston and noticed some differences between the old wiseco piston.

Its hard to see but the new piston has very fine ridges that cover the whole piston its not smooth like the older one.

Bzvcn4b.jpg

iBHSwBP.jpg

3ucsfq4.jpg

All my Wiseco's are like that. I have never noticed the difference..

Is it just me or does the older/used one look thicker ? Any way you could measure and or weigh them ?

I noticed the same differences when I got my last 3 pistons .However, the small grooves in the piston will actually help keep oil on the skirts. These motors are bad about scuffing pistons . Also, The two holes above the wrist pin, are stronger than an oval one . There are no casting ID on the pistons so they my have changed vendors too.

Ahhhh,,,yes it does look a bit wider.. Can you measure it? . Sorry to say again but are you sure the piston wall is the same thickness?

From the pic, it does look as if the wrist pin is at a different height if you are looking from the cut out ("half pipe") to the bottom of the wrist pin.

Maybe they finally made the move and began producing the new pistons in China like their crankshaft assemblies.

This is why I use CAST pistons! wiseco quality has gone way down. They were great pistons back in the day, but the new stuff is junk. Just my opinion. I just love the wonderful "four corner seizers" they produce. Amazing.

Jesse8931, If I were you I would consider a cast piston for your build. Don't be fooled by the little black drawstring bag those wiseco pistons come in. The wiseco pistons have a tendency to loose piston ring locating pins. Ask me how I know.

I've been running wiseco pistons for 15 years and I dont plan to change.

I feel that this piston is a quality product. I just thought it was a little strange that the pistons changed that much.

They (wiseco) probably started using a Chinese supplier, that's why the difference. They're cranks SUCK. Be careful.

Athena and Wossner make quality forged pistons. Something to consider.

I've been running wiseco pistons for 15 years and I dont plan to change.

I feel that this piston is a quality product. I just thought it was a little strange that the pistons changed that much.
For normal use the stock piston is fine. However if the motor is ported ,the head cut and reshaped , more heat,detonation,and rpm will cause a non - forged piston to fail.

I can honestly say I've sold and used thousands of Wiseco pistons and never had a quality problem. I refuse to install a Wiseco rod or crankshaft. I talk to a sales rep at least once a day. I'll ask about a change in vendors or overseas production of the pistons on Monday.

For normal use the stock piston is fine. However if the motor is ported ,the head cut and reshaped , more heat,detonation,and rpm will cause a non - forged piston to fail.

A cast piston will handle the modifications you mentioned just fine. My engine is ported, piped, head re-chambered, transfer's matched, high compression, etc , etc. It also runs on pump gas with zero issues. I even run the stock oil injection. A cast piston will serve you well! A wiseco "pro-lite" piston is no lighter than a cast piston.
A properly fitted piston in an engine that has correct jetting and no air leaks is the most important part. A periodic tear-down/ inspection every season is a simple and easy thing to do, and should be part of routine maintenance.

However...More detonation??? How much of that are you willing to put up with? If your engine has detonation, then you have other problems that need to be addressed, and its not the piston.

A cast piston will handle the modifications you mentioned just fine. My engine is ported, piped, head re-chambered, transfer's matched, high compression, etc , etc. It also runs on pump gas with zero issues. I even run the stock oil injection. A cast piston will serve you well! A wiseco "pro-lite" piston is no lighter than a cast piston.
A properly fitted piston in an engine that has correct jetting and no air leaks is the most important part. A periodic tear-down/ inspection every season is a simple and easy thing to do, and should be part of routine maintenance.

However...More detonation??? How much of that are you willing to put up with? If your engine has detonation, then you have other problems that need to be addressed, and its not the piston.
True... But I did not say more detonation , I said more heat. There is a extra margin of error provided using a forged piston since detonation may not be known till its too late.
In a roadrace engine I used that turned 18,000 rpm a cast piston that was put on the edge of lean the piston crown would simply collapse . The Mukuni pumper carb had remote adjustable low and high settings on the fly.

I can honestly say I've sold and used thousands of Wiseco pistons and never had a quality problem. I refuse to install a Wiseco rod or crankshaft. I talk to a sales rep at least once a day. I'll ask about a change in vendors or overseas production of the pistons on Monday.
Thanks , I have not had any Wiseco piston fail unless it was my fault.

If you like to run a cast piston that's fine but my choice is wiseco.

Plain and simple they can handle more abuse if it were the other way around race teams would run cast.

When I ran 250 mini sprints the guys running cast pistons would be fishing out piston parts by the 3 race.