Virgin start up

monster mudder

May 20, 2009
Gonna try to fire up a rebuilt blaster for the first time today. Oil injection still in place. I primed the pump by undoing the one philips screw until oil started pouring out. Anything else need to be done? Should I throw alittle 2 stroke oil into the gas for some initial lubrication or will the oil pump take care of it right off the bat?

Thanks for all the help this forum has been. Its been a buddies rebuild I've been doing and some of you guys have been a big help.

On assembly I coat everything in premix, and before startup the top end gets a capful or two. It smokes like crazy for a few minutes but it's a little extra insurance on that first startup.

i would premix the first tank just to be safe.
also it would be a really good idea to get a block off plate and pre mix for now on
u could also remove the oil pump and pull the plastic gear off and then reinstall the pump for a cheap block off

Gonna try to fire up a rebuilt blaster for the first time today. Oil injection still in place. I primed the pump by undoing the one philips screw until oil started pouring out. Anything else need to be done? Should I throw alittle 2 stroke oil into the gas for some initial lubrication or will the oil pump take care of it right off the bat?

Thanks for all the help this forum has been. Its been a buddies rebuild I've been doing and some of you guys have been a big help.

Even when the oil injection is working it does'nt work wery good, thats why everybody unhooks it & runs premix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run premix. You haven't learned anything on here if you're using oil injection

hey dude easy he might be new at this i ran my oil injection on my first blaster before i learned about this...... every ones gota start some place.

Last edited by a moderator:

calm down bro iran my oil injection for awhile cuz i didnt kno how to take it off til i fond this site i thought u just unhooked it but i wasnt sure so i left it alone til i found the right way to do it

Reread the first post and notice how its "my friends build." If it was my blaster the oil injection would have been eliminated but he wants to keep it so its his choice.

Break in was successful! We did it last friday and went out to a good break in area that has a long stretch of road and then just alot of open easy riding area to do some heat cycling in. Funny part was to get there we have to ride through a badly rutted up area with like 3 foot mud holes. So we tied a strap from my renegade to his blaster and I gave her hell. lol

Only issue is after the engine warms up, it idles really high. Was doing the same thing before the rebuild. What could be causing this?

Yea, taking the oil injection off is highley advised especially for running over stock applications its a must. If your bike has a fairly stock top end there is really no need thoe. The only thing you have to ask yourself is what if the pump fails? Then its to late $150 later your dropping a new top end in.

Me personally ive never had a problem with any oil injection unit on any blaster. The one i currently own I've had for 11 years , rebuilt once and the oil injection still has no problems. But theres always that chance. Iv'e noticed that were alot of people mess up is with the sponge filter itself and it's mainly kids that do this. They get impatiant with the oil fill and eventually take it out. Thats inevitable top end destruction. Keep the sponge filter in if your not going to get an oil block off kit.

Thanks for the tips. The only gasket or seal that wasn't replaced was the reed cage gasket which was just left on. Since it had this problem pre rebuild, I'm guessing that will be the culprit. If I spray starting fluid around the reed cage while idling, with a leak, it should idle up even more right?