very strange issues

pportera

Oct 29, 2008
No power at all in first gear when taking off on a hill, Unless u rev it up into the powerbnad then slip the heal out the clutch. But once your going and your "on the pipe" It is very snapy at any throttle pos, it runs like a screaming 2 stroke should. But the second u let it drop off the pipe its sick. Not a bog or stutter but more like its trying to tow another quad or something.

I cant even climb steep hills couse it drops out the power band and will die. In first gear if u ease off the clutch it is almost like no spark or no fuel is going in until the power band kicks in then its screaming again.

I got a toomey, dual stage reeds airbox off. i checked everything i know. Plug is a little dark but not bad. E- brake disconected and tors disconected. I know how those will bog it in first and thats not what is going on here. I do have spark also. carb is completly torn apart and cleaned. Jeting is right on if your in the power band if not its like something is smothering it.

Could this be a crank case seal leak? mabyee new rings?

bad cdi?

Also in neutrel it does not do this, but when u put in in gear and take off its like im tring to tow a car behind me???

any ideas

Load on it causes issue, seems to be compression, check for at least 120psi - ish...

Any strange smoke that is new out the pipe?
Could be crankseal, but will smoke. Has anything NEW been introduced, any of those mods listed above, etc etc??

Recent changes? Jetting, etc? :-/

doesnt really smoke at all, always ran synthetic at 50-1.
thats it though as u say " feels like theres a load on it until u hit the power band. i got to check the compression, i kinda was thing rebuild time anyway. its been two years on this piston and rings.

I think a comp test will tell the tale, I say small "piece" missing from piston, ring issue, ring gap worn issue, something of that nature, put a tester on it and let us know. If it test under say 110-105 ish, pull the head think your answer will be in "clear view"

The top corner on intake side of piston has small hole worn into it.
The bottom ring appears to have gotten clipped by the intake port.
The ring will rotate freely around the piston, that little pin that keeps the
Ring in place was missing? The bottom of the piston skirt has little chips in it like it was hitting something. I'm thinkin when I rebuilt it last I should have
Gone with larger boar. I think the piston had to much wobble and was slapping around in the cylinder.
Thanks for all the replies.

I run amsoil dominator synthetic. Would 40:1 work better. Last time I ran 32:1 it smoked badly and started havin lean issues and caused all these problems. I'f I'm already running lean and add more oil(32:1) wouldn't that be less gas per oil and cause the bike to run leaner?

yes, it is less gas per oil, but rather look at it from the other side of more oil per unit gas..

All you have to do is richen up your jetting. you want your bike to smoke. as long as you dont get spooge coming out the tailpipe you good.

The top corner on intake side of piston has small hole worn into it.
The bottom ring appears to have gotten clipped by the intake port.
The ring will rotate freely around the piston, that little pin that keeps the
Ring in place was missing? The bottom of the piston skirt has little chips in it like it was hitting something. I'm thinkin when I rebuilt it last I should have
Gone with larger boar. I think the piston had to much wobble and was slapping around in the cylinder.
Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like you figured it out yourself mang. That top-end needs a rebuild!

50:1 is fine when you are running AMSOIL. Mixing richer on AMSOIL just robs you of power. An AMSOIL-lubed 2-stroke won't smoke when it warms up, just FYI.