Ultimate Trail Blaster???

darederek

May 31, 2010
Greensburg
I want to know what mods will best benefit for the trails? right now vforce reeds and a pipe are first on my list but after what will do the most for trail type riding?

i think wheel spacers cause when im on the trails i get some places where its a little tipsy lol

Keep the swinger short and the bike light. Don't get huge whooly booger tires, 21"s with a flat profile are more then enough. And likr blanshee said the little things go along ways. Bars, gripper set cover, grips ect. First major things I'd do is pick up a cheap fmf fatty ot pro circuit pipe and silencer, find a cheap set of works shocks and later get the head milled for higher compression. That along with good tires and just the right gearing will make life alot better.

hand guards, tall tires, 12 tooth sprocket, shearer pipe, skid plates, aggressive trail port, some good shocks for all the bumps and that right there will just about make the ultimate trail blaster.

My buddy has a set of nerfs on his trail blaster and loves them. I rode his some before I got mine and I loved them too.

I've done a little trail riding without full footboxes on utility quads before and nearly had my leg broken by a vine. It actually pulled my foot back under the peg/heel guard and started under the rear tire!

The only saving grace was that as it pulled my foot under the right rear tire I started to fall off the right side of the quad. As I did, I jerked the handle bars and steered straight into a tree. First and last time (so far anyway) I thought of running head on into a tree a good thing...

I'd rather have the nets snagged by sticks than a broken foot/ankle/leg. I seriously considered making a set of nerfs while I was at it making my heel guards but didn't have any netting material around so I didn't. I may still go back and make a set just for the trails.

Im running 22 inch Dunlop balloony tires. They have traction for DAYS. Seriously I have to TRY and get those things to break traction.

14t sprocket is too much. Ive been playing with sprockets (keep in mind Im riding at elevations above 7000 feet and all the way up to and past 10000 feet so my power output will be different if youre several thousand feet below me), and for me, Im thinking a 12t front and a 41-42t rear is gonna be the ticket.

Front sprocket ratio to rear is about 3 to 1. So if you drop a tooth on the front it would be equavalent to dropping about 3 teeth on the rear. So 14/40 gearing is ~ 13/37 gearing if such a thing existed. So 12/41 gearing would still be a bit less TOP end than 13/40 but not like 12/40 would be.

So, yeah, Im gonna try 12/40 and see how it goes. I have 22 inch tall rear tires and 14/40 gearing. I love the tires. I love the traction. It just rips up rocky crap, and through ruts and all that stuff, it just bogs a little on the low end and Id like to be able to use 2nd gear to climb hills instead of being rapped out in first all the time. Im thinking going to 12/40 will do it, if it doesnt, 12/41 or 12/42 will be the happy medium with my taller rears.

We shall see.

im looking for a 12t sprocket, ive tried 3 different online sites but no one has a 12t for a blaster, can someone point me to the best place to get one,,, i'm going to call the yamaha dealer when i get home, but if anyone has any ideas i'd like to hear them, thanks

to make a good trail quad, you want a comfy ride.
so you want good suspension all around and have it set a little soft.
you will want ground clearance. so nothing under 20". 21" would be good, 22" if you ride in rutted places.
nerf bars are good, but the stock ones with the plastic heel guards are better, unlesss you get nerf bars with the metal heel quards.
if you want better stability, get a banshee rear axle (little wider) and get some +2s a-arms.
once you get all of this, then worry about power. there is no point in having a lot of power if you cant use it.
oh some cushiony hand grips will also help out.

im looking for a 12t sprocket, ive tried 3 different online sites but no one has a 12t for a blaster, can someone point me to the best place to get one,,, i'm going to call the yamaha dealer when i get home, but if anyone has any ideas i'd like to hear them, thanks

uhhhhh egay has all that sh*t lol

id have to say it just depends on what you want out of your bike and what sort of trails you are riding. but i mean i think one of the best upgrades are a good set of tires.

to make a good trail quad, you want a comfy ride.
so you want good suspension all around and have it set a little soft.
you will want ground clearance. so nothing under 20". 21" would be good, 22" if you ride in rutted places.
nerf bars are good, but the stock ones with the plastic heel guards are better, unlesss you get nerf bars with the metal heel quards.
if you want better stability, get a banshee rear axle (little wider) and get some +2s a-arms.
once you get all of this, then worry about power. there is no point in having a lot of power if you cant use it.
oh some cushiony hand grips will also help out.

agreed, a longer swinger is a good investment as well, a +2 is still short enough that you can turn on a dime, but long enough to add some much needed stability.

as far as taller tires for rutted areas, it really depends on where you're riding, where i went riding before the ruts and washouts were so deep that 22" tires wouldn't have helped over my 18's