Uhmw skid plate

ColWhitecakes

May 11, 2010
Here's my new skid plate on what I call my $100 Blaster (I've got $300 in it now, and yes, it runs). I made it out of 1/2inch UHMW plastic sheet that I had laying around. It mounts on the front using the bumper bolts and the stock bumper fits over it (gonna be building a new bumper soon). The front mounts are made from 3/16inch T6 aluminum flat bar. In the rear, I drilled out and tapped the vent holes in the fram that are located near the foot peg mounts and the one in the cross tube for the motor mount. All the bolt heads are recessed. I decided to make it as wide and long as possible to provide maximum protection. There is only a few inches between the rear chain skid plate and the back of the belly skid plate. There is no apparent clearance issues.

Attachments

• skid plate.jpg
    skid plate.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 364
  • skidplate4.jpg
    skidplate4.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 343
  • skidplate5.jpg
    skidplate5.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 330
UHMW is very good for abrasion resistance, not too sure how much impact protection it will give from rocks etc. Also, I would have run the front up a bit more and curved it a bit to prevent schmoo from getting stuffed between the skid plate and frame though.

Doc~ The plate on the bottom edge of the stock bumper stes right up against it and I rounded the front corners of the plastic. Although the plate on the bumpre and it were setting flush; I used a cresent wrench to bend the bumper plate down slightly so it pertruded slightly below it.

Also, this stuff is pretty impact resistant. It will not shatter and will give quite a bit and return to shape. I think it will also be less "grabby" over rocks and such than aluminum.

Here's my new skid plate on what I call my $100 Blaster (I've got $300 in it now, and yes, it runs). I made it out of 1/2inch UHMW plastic sheet that I had laying around. It mounts on the front using the bumper bolts and the stock bumper fits over it (gonna be building a new bumper soon). The front mounts are made from 3/16inch T6 aluminum flat bar. In the rear, I drilled out and tapped the vent holes in the fram that are located near the foot peg mounts and the one in the cross tube for the motor mount. All the bolt heads are recessed. I decided to make it as wide and long as possible to provide maximum protection. There is only a few inches between the rear chain skid plate and the back of the belly skid plate. There is no apparent clearance issues.

Looks good, Ya may want to drill a few more holes for drainage, as stuff will accumulate under the motor