Typical build page

BudgetBlaster

Jul 3, 2015
Virginia
Hey everyone
First off, just want you to know that any and all help is always super appreciated and that this is mostly a thread for me to keep track of the project.

Sooo... I did a top end on a blaster for a friend roughly 2 years ago. The thing was a total piece of sh*tacious artwork. Wrecked front, bent tie rods, forever flats, busted plastic, had caught on fire somehow?? No brakes... you get the idea.
I did break in cycles then test rode it. I loved it.. I had it for about a month until he picked it up and I rode every chance I got.

I've never had a four wheeler, just dirt bikes. I found this thing on a "for sale" page on Facebook for $600, got it at $400..

IMG_20150706_26221.jpg

It needed a clutch pretty bad..
Got the one made by Tusk for a little under $40. Works great

New air filter
Filter oil
Case oil (bel ray?? Gear saver)
Br8es plug
Custom shifter

I beat the junk shifter onto it and dremeled a new notch for the screw to fit.. P.O. had welded, jb welded, who knows what else to it but I ordered a used shift shaft, just waiting on the fresh shifter to get here.

Used a sudco carb kit for a new gasket and fuel needle etc.

So far I haven't noticed any engine work done to it, carb had a 230 MJ in it, it is running.. the idle is extremely finicky because the insides of the tors box are stripped and faulty etc.

Will Update more shortly, dinner time.

I sometimes feel like I am sitting next to a broken juke box thats playing the same song over and over but,,,,, you need to leak test ! Especially with an erratic idle. I am sure most if not all of us would rather see a build thread rather than an "oops I didn't leak test and now it's a motor rebuild" Plus if you don't have a leak tester already you will certainly need one in the future.

Nice score, for $400 you really cant go wrong with what you have in the pics. Like others have said. These things can get addictive. Looking frwrd to the build. If you cant find info that you need just ask. Plenty of knowledgeable folks on here to help you out. Welcome to the forum..

Last edited:
Reactions: BudgetBlaster
Buy a Moose idle screw kit and remove the TORs .best 1st motor mod.
I had forgot to mention this! I have lol
Filed, drilled, threaded the carb. After a little additional dremeling to make mine work the screw does it's job with the slide just fine. The problem it's got is inside the tors box, the switch that hits and stops the piece that the cable attaches too is freely moving around. Anyways I was hoping to get away with just using the screw.. I really wanted the moose kit. They look really nice but I got the motion pro cap and cable ordered last week. Ship tracker said it left California on the 2nd lol

You'll find you are never done...lol

If your anything like me, I enjoy "tinkering" on stuff out in my shop just as much as I like riding.
Pretty much nailed it haha, I'm working towards reducing the amount of available things to tinker with

I sometimes feel like I am sitting next to a broken juke box thats playing the same song over and over but,,,,, you need to leak test ! Especially with an erratic idle. I am sure most if not all of us would rather see a build thread rather than an "oops I didn't leak test and now it's a motor rebuild" Plus if you don't have a leak tester already you will certainly need one in the future.

Nice score, for $400 you really cant go wrong with what you have in the pics. Like others have said. These things can get addictive. Looking frwrd to the build. If you cant find info that you need just ask. Plenty of knowledgeable fokls on here to help you out. Welcome to the forum..

I hear ya man, unfortunately I haven't leak tested yet as I cannot find mine. Hell I'm not sure the one I have will even work, the uh.. engine side.. of the tester was to fit a old kx 250 I had. I'm thinking of just getting up with awk and buying one off of him. Ive seen it posted here before a while back lol

I'm still stuck on the $400 myself haha, thanks man

Gas tank cover, $6 rear brake pads, folding shifter, oem front fenders, clutch tool.. and 2 kenda klaw xc 6ply tires for $60 for the front is what all is supposedly on the way from ebay. Oh waiting on the carb cap and cable from motion pro as well.

Alright need to post the front end info.
1 wheel is super bent, does not spin straight either. I found one on ebay for $10 that should be here this week like everything else.

So.. the left tire sits with a serious lean. I cant find any bends in the arms or frame. I did put it on a stand and noticed the upper bushings are shot on both sides. Couldn't tell about lowers.. might unbolt the shocks and wiggle em. One tie rod looks funny but not obviously crooked or anything.
Don't see where the spindles are messed up.. seems like a spindle would break before it would bend to me...
I only searched a little but bushings arent cheap..

I'm thinking
1. Fresh tie rods
2. Possibly upper and lower a arm for the left.
3. Upper and lower bushings.

Vs.. the price of a newset? Albas are affordable.

IMG_20150707_39869.jpg
IMG_20150707_12512.jpg

I bought all my a arm bushings on eBay for like 20$ or something like that

Ya I got all balls bushings for like 14 dollars you might be looking at bushings for aftermarket a arms.

OK I have to look again lol, because I about crapt when whatever bushings I pulled up said $80 for uppers and immediately stopped searching haha. I'll see what I can find after work

Also has anyone come across a wheel leaning like that and found out the bushings will pull in the slack? I know the camber isn't adjustable on these and bushings being gone will cause issues but it sure is alot of lean. I think if I unbolt that shock later I might be able to at least hold it back in line by hand if nothing is bent like the ball joint etc right?

Alright need to post the front end info.
1 wheel is super bent, does not spin straight either. I found one on ebay for $10 that should be here this week like everything else.

So.. the left tire sits with a serious lean. I cant find any bends in the arms or frame. I did put it on a stand and noticed the upper bushings are shot on both sides. Couldn't tell about lowers.. might unbolt the shocks and wiggle em. One tie rod looks funny but not obviously crooked or anything.
Don't see where the spindles are messed up.. seems like a spindle would break before it would bend to me...
I only searched a little but bushings arent cheap..

I'm thinking
1. Fresh tie rods
2. Possibly upper and lower a arm for the left.
3. Upper and lower bushings.

Vs.. the price of a newset? Albas are affordable.

View attachment 23889 View attachment 23890

see if the tab thingy on end of steering shaft,where the tie rods/ball joints connect to is bent/or tie rod is way out of adjustment:)
stem j 1.jpg

Last edited:
Ohhh good idea there, i'll check that out next chance I get. Hopefully tomorrow

Scored a stock skid plate for the swing arm for $20 today

Ya my bushings were so shot they were pretty much non existent when I bought my quad. The only thing I had was some side to side play which makes sense. I highly doubt that the bushings being gone would make your wheel crooked something must be bent you just haven't found it yet.