Two rebuilds...underway

Here are a couple of things to pay attention to when you start looking at YZs. Check the front pipe mount under the water pump. The mounts have a bad habit of breaking in half and allowing the front of the pipe to sway back and forth on the end of the cylinder. This movement will wear the cylinder out in a hurry. If the mount is broken, it’s probably been like that for a while. The pipe seals on the cylinder with two O rings. If the front of the cylinder is worn, there’s a good chance the engine has been sucking dirt. Another thing to check is the joint where the air box meets the boot. They have a tendency of coming apart after a couple of crashes. A bent sub frame is usually the cause. The transmissions on the bikes are great when they’re new but have some serious design flaws. The forks and rods are one in the same and can wear the bores in the case out. This in turn leads to a misalignment of the forks and the gears causing premature gear failure. So far this year, I’ve rebuilt 4 YZ engines newer than 2011 and all of them had transmission problems. When the owner starts the bike, listen for a clicking sound that speeds up when the engine is wound up in neutral. This is the first sound you’ll hear when things are starting to go bad. Listen for the same sound when you put it in gear. If you hear it, walk away or get ready to drop $600 on transmission parts.

Thanks for that info ken. I'm either checking out a 93 YZ or a 98 CR today. I'll let you guys know what happens. Not real sure about the CR as I've never messed around on one.

I honestly prefer the honda dirtbikes over the Yamaha, when i raced it was all Honda's, i tried racing Yamaha an the bike had a terrible feel to me, it just was plain uncomfortable, the Honda's seem to always fit me like a glove, an they have tons of power, so dont be afraid of the honda

wqsv9l.jpg

There she is

Reactions: speedyslyder
He just rebuilt it, gave me receipts with the warranty papers. It's a nice bike. Never been on a 250 before, never been on two wheels before, that thing is insane lol

He just rebuilt it, gave me receipts with the warranty papers. It's a nice bike. Never been on a 250 before, never been on two wheels before, that thing is insane lol

That's cool he gave you the paperwork and all.

Just be cautious at first, 2 wheels is alot different than 4! Practice riding around some, set up some cones or something and do some slow figure 8's. That will help you gain control and a feel for it. Buy some Boots too if you don't have any!

Reactions: DeJay1206
i believe suzuki's are know for being a good handling bike,honda has good suspension and some are lighter cuz they were the first to come out with the aluminum frame, If you never rode a bike a 250 is a big one to start on,although 125 are pretty snappy and move around more then the 250,...125 are real fun cuz you can whip them around like nothing...250's you got to really be on your toes cuz the power will hit harder,and gain momentum quicker,...

ps...make sure you have a good working front brake lol :)

nice bike man ive riden the rm 250,125,and 80 :)

the bike in my gif pic below is a yz250

Yeah, I need boots. I messed up my foot trying to kick start the thing. The blaster was the first bike I ever owned, never been on two wheels. Its definitely different. The powerband is freaking insane and I was scared to really get on it... LOL

Taking it nice and slow. Adjusting the power valves right now for low end, it was set for all top end and I'm not comfortable enough to be riding that fast right now.

It's definitely different, I gotta get used to leaning to turn. I tried just turning with the handlebars and that didn't work at all LOL

yeah it hurts when you kick without boots,my yz250 had a well worn top end and it stilll had 190psi.

i was scared the first time i rode mine and ive rode more bikes then quads.

lean with it when you turn,with one leg out if and when need which is a lot.

sit closer up to the tank till you get comfortable,so you dont flip it :)

Haha it'll be a while before I'm riding wheelies.

fix that front brake lever..if it dont pull so good. 3rd gear will ride wheelies all day 2nd to 3rd to 4th if you dare lol :)]

Front brake lever was set like that on purpose. Previous owner doesn't like a long brake lever up front. It's shaved down. Idk if I like it or not. You can get one finger on it and it stops perfect. I do like how it's out of the way of the throttle...