TWal Complete Blaster Rebuild

rims: factory Yamaha rolled lip rims from shee/rappy/yfz are the strongest aluminum rims i've found, you'll need those 4x115 bolt pattern rear hubs too
10" front, 9" rear

tires: 22" front, 20" rears, besides decent ground clearence, bigger tires roll over obstacles easier and smoother than smaller tires, especially the fronts

13/40 gearing: quickness in the trails, i could care less about 14/40 top speed

1/2 naked pic :eek:
Razr2's rear, Carlise Trail Wolf fronts < decent tire but soon to be matching Razr2's
n1dtna.jpg

Reps given for posting pics and following up on your build..
Thank you! I greatly appreciate that. :)

for the rear you will be better off with a 9" rim . You will have more of a selection of tires. You could go with a 10'' rim but Imo you would be better with a 9''. Also some wheel spacers for the front and rear. That's the cheaper way other than a wider axle and or wider front a arms. A banshee rear axle is a nice choice to and is wider as well. They can be had on e bay for cheap sometimes and since your tearing things down already and your going to have some time keep your eyes open for one.. I would also go with a 400 rear shock ltz400 400 ex etc.. They too can be had for cheap and r a great upgrade for the $$. When you talk to Ken ask him about the rear shock bushings, you will need them.. As far as tire size I run 18'' and im close to the ground, if there is mud I try and float over it of sorts if I can. If not than im stuck. My rear tire and rim combo does me no justice in the mud. I mostly ride fields though so they work for me..
Thanks for the input as well! I will consider all of this as I continue to purchase parts in the future. I've heard that the 400 shock is almost a must for intense trail riding so I will definitely look into that. I'm definitely going to go with a 9" or greater rim. I have yet to see a 10" rim on the rear of a Blaster so if anyone has pictures to share I would love it. I'm looking to get really aggressive mud tires with this build, preferably as big as possible. 18's definitely sound good for your riding style but I am thinking that 20+ aggressive mud tires will be perfect for me. I'll talk to Ken about the bushings as well.

All you could ever need to know except the colour of Kens undies.

index
Haha, thank you Blaaster.

rims: factory Yamaha rolled lip rims from shee/rappy/yfz are the strongest aluminum rims i've found, you'll need those 4x115 bolt pattern rear hubs too
10" front, 9" rear

tires: 22" front, 20" rears, besides decent ground clearence, bigger tires roll over obstacles easier and smoother than smaller tires, especially the fronts

13/40 gearing: quickness in the trails, i could care less about 14/40 top speed

1/2 naked pic
Razr2's rear, Carlise Trail Wolf fronts < decent tire but soon to be matching Razr2's
Thank you Awk for this post, this cleared up a lot of questions I've had from research I did last night. How do you feel about 22" tires on the back with 22's on the front as well? Do you have any pictures of them? Also, your tires look great. I love the look of the rears. The gearing you mentioned seems to be consistent to what I've seen too. Great post!

There is a picture in my profile with my bike having 10" rims there 18'' tires on it though. They are also larger hubs 4/156 banshee hubs. I wouldn't recommend getting them because the hubs alone are harder to find and finding 4/156 bolt pattern rear rims aren't as plentiful as others. I only have them because I had a few sets of 4/156 rear rims from a trade and I was about to sell them when a set of good 4/156 rear hubs popped up for a good price.. the 10"rim and 18" tire combo I would have to say for a lack of words is "stiff". Its nice if your on flat terrain and like to slide but other than that there is really no give.. My next set will be probably 20" tires but with the 10" rim..

the pic in my sig below of my white bike is older when i had 10" 6ply rear bandits on 10" ITP rims. 10" fronts.
for refrerence, the black bike has 10" fronts/9" rears
hard to see a noticeable difference ?

expect similar reduced tire choices in the 10" as the 8"
9" is the most popular and has the widest selection of sport tires.

22" tires will interfere with the heel gaurds on a stock swingarm, and prolly need at least 12/40 or lower gearing to turn those.
i wouldn't do it for the small 1" added clearence.
20's ! ...... 21" max.

the maxxis tires in the "naked" pic a few posts back are
Maxxis Razr II 20x11-9 6 ply
i even swapped my 10" bandits for those w/ rolled lip rims off my buddies rappy 700 before he sold it...... as a hauling fee :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TWal
There is a picture in my profile with my bike having 10" rims there 18'' tires on it though. They are also larger hubs 4/156 banshee hubs. I wouldn't recommend getting them because the hubs alone are harder to find and finding 4/156 bolt pattern rear rims aren't as plentiful as others. I only have them because I had a few sets of 4/156 rear rims from a trade and I was about to sell them when a set of good 4/156 rear hubs popped up for a good price.. the 10"rim and 18" tire combo I would have to say for a lack of words is "stiff". Its nice if your on flat terrain and like to slide but other than that there is really no give.. My next set will be probably 20" tires but with the 10" rim..
Thank you for mentioning your picture, that's the first picture I've seen with rims I knew were 10". I like them, but would definitely put at least 20" tires on them like you mentioned. I'd imagine I could find 10" rims with the stock Blaster hubs, right? If not I wouldn't mind looking around for Banshee hubs. I'm not in any rush to get this Blaster done.

the pic in my sig below of my white bike is older when i had 10" 6ply rear bandits on 10" ITP rims. 10" fronts.
for refrerence, the black bike has 10" fronts/9" rears
hard to see a noticeable difference ?

expect similar reduced tire choices in the 10" as the 8"
9" is the most popular and has the widest selection of sport tires.

22" tires will interfere with the heel gaurds on a stock swingarm, and prolly need at least 12/40 or lower gearing to turn those.
i wouldn't do it for the small 1" added clearence.
20's ! ...... 21" max.

the maxxis tires in the "naked" pic a few posts back are
Maxxis Razr II 20x11-9 6 ply
i even swapped my 10" bandits for those w/ rolled lip rims off my buddies rappy 700 before he sold it...... as a hauling fee
I SUPPOSE it's hard to tell the difference, but I gotta admit that I love the consistency of 10" rims on the front and back. I understand that the variety would be minimized but, call me crazy, I do think its worth it. 20's on the front and back sound good to me, do you know anyone who has/has pictures of a Blaster on 10" rims and 20" tires all around? Also, where would you recommend buying rims?

like i said, i like the strength of the rolled lip yamaha rims.
i got the other sets on ebay..... rappy/shee/yfz stock rims.
if you're looking for new ? it's hard to beat rockymountainatv.com w/ free shipping over $100

like i said, i like the strength of the rolled lip yamaha rims.
i got the other sets on ebay..... rappy/shee/yfz stock rims.
if you're looking for new ? it's hard to beat rockymountainatv.com w/ free shipping over $100
I'm not really looking for anything in particular now (new/used) but that site looks like a great place to shop. I've been trying to find a reliable site to browse Blaster stuff and I appreciate the guidance. If I'm going with 20" tires on the front on a 10" rim, what should the width of the tire be? Actually, what should I be looking for width-wise on the rear 20's on 10" rims as well? I apologize if this is obvious but I am completely new to ATV tires/rims. Thanks Awk!