TRX450R Rebuild

Race 4 strokes are a lot of money ! The 450 Rs that Yamaha and Honda make state that they need to be overhauled every 15 hrs of running. I have decided that since I don't race I will build a 400es instead. I picked up my new ride on Saturday. 2013 Honda 400 X. Getting parts ordered starting next week . See the Honda section for the list, if interested.
2013 Honda 400ex 004.JPG

Last edited:
QUOTE="woodrow wilson, post: 738897, member: 19963"]Thats crazy every 15 hours but I guess If your racing its the right thing to do!! Little as we ride 15 hours would be 3 years. .lol..[/QUOTE]

If you read the shop manual for both Honda and Yamaha both state 15 hrs. This is for the race model 450 Rs. The reason is the piston skirts on both are only about an 1 or so long .Now consider the cost to build one since parts are so high for rods ,piston,valves and port work, right Wifesblaster ? Now add 12:1 compression ,race gas and 60 + hp they need more maintence. Those that race know this , because when they blow they take out the top and bottom end together ! Those that play race and ride don't and end up selling the quad instead when it blows. The rings and high lift cams get pounded when they turn 9,000 -10,000 + rpm.
How do I know any of this ? Our Honda shop sponsored Candace Lees National race winning Honda 450R. It had special valves, springs and cam made by HRC, trying a stock piston/ rings at first, then switching a Venolia forged one to survive. Still.. Every 3 races it was torn down and refreshed.Its not just the race time on a motor ,the practice time has to be figured in too.

Last edited:
QUOTE="woodrow wilson, post: 738897, member: 19963"]Thats crazy every 15 hours but I guess If your racing its the right thing to do!! Little as we ride 15 hours would be 3 years. .lol..

If you read the shop manual for both Honda and Yamaha both state 15 hrs. This is for the race model 450 Rs. The reason is the piston skirts on both are only about an 1 or so long .Now consider the cost to build one since parts are so high for rods ,piston,valves and port work, right Wifesblaster ? Now add 12:1 compression ,race gas and 60 + hp they need more maintence. Those that race know this , because when they blow they take out the top and bottom end together ! Those that play race and ride don't and end up selling the quad instead when it blows. The rings and high lift cams get pounded when they turn 9,000 -10,000 + rpm.
How do I know any of this ? Our Honda shop sponsored Candace Lees National race winning Honda 450R. It had special valves, springs and cam made by HRC, trying a stock piston/ rings at first, then switching a Venolia forged one to survive. Still.. Every 3 races it was torn down and refreshed.Its not just the race time on a motor ,the practice time has to be figured in too.[/QUOTE]

I understand that the shop manual says rebuild every 15 hours. I think it's different when trail/play riding. If I went on a 3 day riding trip and rode 5 hours each day I would need to rebuild it? Saying you have to replace the piston before it due for a spark plug change or valve shim is absolutely crazy. I can assure you I'll get over 100 hours out of this build. The reason is +1 upgraded valves, heavy valve springs, long rod stroker, and cp piston. All of the best parts are being used for power/reliability (I know there's a fine line there). The long rod will help with rod angle, hence less stress on the piston skirt. And I will be running 13.5 to 1 compression. Getting 3 or 4 years out of a top end on these bikes is very common. I don't know where Honda came up with the 15 hour inspect/replace.

Take modern motor oil for example.... Why are we still being told to change our oil every 3,000 miles? With the introduction of synthetic oil and everything we have learned about oil, heat, and friction we should be able to get more than 3,000 miles, right? I change mine every 5,000 or 6,000 if I'm lazy!

I have never really payed very close attention to the maintnance time frame that is outlined in any manual, if I did I would be broke!!!! I know enough about bikes to know when they need and to look for the signs that tell me when they need it.

How many unsponsored riders actually overhaul their motor after 15 hours of use. I bet they are few and far between!

To meet factory warranty I am sure they recommend every 15 hours.. Why? to cover there A$$ that's why.. That goes for anything anymore though..

I understand that the shop manual says rebuild every 15 hours. I think it's different when trail/play riding. If I went on a 3 day riding trip and rode 5 hours each day I would need to rebuild it? Saying you have to replace the piston before it due for a spark plug change or valve shim is absolutely crazy. I can assure you I'll get over 100 hours out of this build. The reason is +1 upgraded valves, heavy valve springs, long rod stroker, and cp piston. All of the best parts are being used for power/reliability (I know there's a fine line there). The long rod will help with rod angle, hence less stress on the piston skirt. And I will be running 13.5 to 1 compression. Getting 3 or 4 years out of a top end on these bikes is very common. I don't know where Honda came up with the 15 hour inspect/replace.

Take modern motor oil for example.... Why are we still being told to change our oil every 3,000 miles? With the introduction of synthetic oil and everything we have learned about oil, heat, and friction we should be able to get more than 3,000 miles, right? I change mine every 5,000 or 6,000 if I'm lazy!

I have never really payed very close attention to the maintnance time frame that is outlined in any manual, if I did I would be broke!!!! I know enough about bikes to know when they need and to look for the signs that tell me when they need it.

How many unsponsored riders actually overhaul their motor after 15 hours of use. I bet they are few and far between!

I think you misunderstand ... 15 hrs refers to Yamaha and Honda that have STOCK factory part in them. Since youre parts are not stock it should not apply to you at all. OK ? Also alot of unsponsored riders do not win or even finish races !
As far as oil changes got 3,000 miles used to be the norm that Dealers told customers. If you look in just about any owners manual they now say normal use is 5,000 to 7,500. The dealers do not know how a person drives their car, in town all day, wide open or what, so some tell customers 3,000 miles to be safe.However a more recent poll said..most people like you now change at their oil 5,000 .

To meet factory warranty I am sure they recommend every 15 hours.. Why? to cover there A$$ that's why.. That goes for anything anymore though..
Exactly... I used to do alot of warranty work and have seen motors blow for simple lack of oil or water . Same with air pressure in tires , manual says check once a month ...anyone do that ?:confused:

Here is my take on sponsored riders. They were not sponsored at some point and they were winning for finishing good to get the attention of the sponsors.

Even with stock internals there is no way in hell I would buy a brand new bike for $8,000 and expect to open the motor up after a couple weeks of riding. That just sounds absurd to me.

So if I go buy a brand new honda 450 am I expected to take it to the stealership every couple weeks to maintain my warranty? If I decide to perform the work does it void the warrenty?

The final say about if engine damage is covered is up to the district Honda or Yamaha reps. As far as you doing youre own work , that's up to you as long as its done as properly. Pro racers have used hour meters on their motors for years.
My warranty on my 400x says normal wear and tear is not covered ,nor is lack of maintenance , a 1 year warranty is given from Honda. You can get an extended contract that is $700. for 4 years. If you don't ever use it Honda refunds the whole $700 back to you. That way they reward you for doing the maintenance as needed.
Anyway its kinda pointless for us to argue about Honda or Yamaha warranty rules.

Last edited:
i was looking at the beggining of this thread and i noticed you got the fat boy4. I had that same exhaust on my 400ex. My only complaint was that it did not have a heat shield,or tabs to put one on.And on the 400ex air cooled motor it was sooooo hot to scorch your skin,or riding pants.I had to build a aluminum heat shield for it.:) Yours is the 450r liquid cooled so im sure that is not a problem.Cool man looking good :D

i was looking at the beggining of this thread and i noticed you got the fat boy4. I had that same exhaust on my 400ex. My only complaint was that it did not have a heat shield,or tabs to put one on.And on the 400ex air cooled motor it was sooooo hot to scorch your skin,or riding pants.I had to build a aluminum heat shield for it.:) Yours is the 450r liquid cooled so im sure that is not a problem.Cool man looking good :D

Only the stock pipe has a heat shield for the 450r. I might have to make one too, we'll see.

Just ordered an OEM bottom end gasket set for $70! Sum beach it's expensive!!! Hopefully it will be worth it in the end. I'm glad this bike already has all the goodies.

Tab = $2560. How the hell is it over $2,500 already :eek::eek::eek: :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Still have to pay for crank rebuild and head rebuild/epoxy port!!!!

Only the stock pipe has a heat shield for the 450r. I might have to make one too, we'll see.

Just ordered an OEM bottom end gasket set for $70! Sum beach it's expensive!!! Hopefully it will be worth it in the end. I'm glad this bike already has all the goodies.

Tab = $2560. How the hell is it over $2,500 already :eek::eek::eek: :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Still have to pay for crank rebuild and head rebuild/epoxy port!!!!

I called Duncan racing about the fat boy 4 he sells for the 400x. He told me that doing internal performace work on my engine was a waste of time. A carb re-jet , pipe ,air filter will net an 18 % power increase. If I just put a cam in it its only 2 % ,add the 440 kit you will barely notice it . Only porting, cam , 11:1 piston and a bigger carb added to the above will net a 35% increase over the 18% above rejet ,carb and pipe combo !BTW..400x Pipe has no heat shield either.

Last edited: