transmission problems

motorcrosmaster

Dec 12, 2010
hey guys i need help reallly bad. it all started out when i tried to change the transmition oil. the kid that owned it before me stipped the bolt really bad. i waz unable to get it out using a vice grip or any tools i tried. then like a dumbass i decided it would be a good idea to try to drill the bolt out. when this didn't work i went out and bought a bolt extractor and managed to get the bolt out. when i finally got it out i saw that the threads got really fuked up on transmission. there was a whole chunk of metal missing. i tried to blow the metal out and pick it out with a screw driver but was unable to see wether the metal fell out of the blaster or just moved out of site somewhere in the transmission. after i did that i put a new drain bolt in which suprisingly screwed in very smoothly.. i then filled the blaster with oil and was also surprised that it did not appear to leak. so everything seemed fine. then i went to ride it and i couldn't get the thing in gear. when i finally got it in gear i couldnt shift it out of first. after trying to ride it around for a while it would intermittently shift fine but then out of no where jam up and be unmovable. about 5 also the clutch seemed to just stop working at all an anytime i would try to put it in gear it would just immediately stall. i hope i didn't just f*ck things up really bad.. what can i do to fix this?

Reactions: blasterdemon7
hahahah seen this MANY times
The bolt you used is too long and is jamming up the shift drum. add a washer or find a shorter bolt.

FWIW there is a really easy fix for making a new hole but does require splitting the cases. for now try the shorter bolt.

thanks for the replies guys.. im soo mad at myself for causing like a major issue when attemting to do the easiest thing possible.
anyways how hard is it to split open the cases.. and can anymore give me instructions on how to do this.. and how can i fix the f*cked up threads.

and i bought the bolt straight from yamaha and also bought the oem washer to go with it.. is it possible that the bolt can be too long?

Splitting the cases is a major.
What i would do is remove the clutch cover and clean it out really good.
inspect everything inside there and replace the clutch cover gasket.

i know this is a stupid question but ive only had the blaster for like 2 months so how do i take the clutch cover off and how do i know if anything got damaged in their?

splitting the cases is a major job, but with a manual its easy. download one online.
to fix the threads you use an aluminum welding rod.

What I do is drill out the hole aprox 1/16" bigger then the bolt. then set/clamp the bolt into place then using harbor freight aluminum welding rods and a propane torch heat up the case and allow the melted rod to flow into the area around the bolt. once its cool just remove the bolt. Instant perfect threads that are actually straonger the the original cast aluminum.

check out youtube. they have tons of videos using these rods for all kinds of repairs.
I use them all the time for repairing busted alluminum parts and repairing threads.

Reactions: slickerthanyou
splitting the cases is a major job, but with a manual its easy. download one online.
to fix the threads you use an aluminum welding rod.

What I do is drill out the hole aprox 1/16" bigger then the bolt. then set/clamp the bolt into place then using harbor freight aluminum welding rods and a propane torch heat up the case and allow the melted rod to flow into the area around the bolt. once its cool just remove the bolt. Instant perfect threads that are actually straonger the the original cast aluminum.

check out youtube. they have tons of videos using these rods for all kinds of repairs.
I use them all the time for repairing busted alluminum parts and repairing threads.

WOW! That sounds like a very easy thread fix. Very good reply!

mine stripped out to so put a self threading plug in and did the samething. i was freakin out until i took the bolt out and seen that it was rubbin bad.lol

thaks for all the replies guys its much appreciated. i wound up pulling the engine out and bringing it to ken oconnor. he opened it up and found a broken drill bit in there..loll... i just got the engine back in the bike.. it seems like it works but the clutch still doesnt.. i think the cable is bad.. anyways id also like to thank ken oconor for fixin me up.. hes by far the best mechanic ive ever had and will be the only guy im using for all future repairs.. thanks again bro i really appreciate it

anyone got any suggestion on adjusting the clutch cable.. i tightened it as much as i could at the lever.. is there any other way to get some additional adjustment out of it?

you need to adjust the push rod...

Loosen the lock nut in the center of the pressure plate. Push the clutch arm forward (left side of engine) with your finger until it stops.
Now with your finger holding the arm forward adjust the adjuster with a Philips screwdriver (star) until the POINT on the clutch arm is lined up with the raised mark on the engine crankcase.
Then simply retighten the lock nut while holding the adjuster from turning. (Re-check the adjustment)

Install a new clutch cover gasket
Put the clutch cover back on. (Make sure you don't force it on or smack it on or you will risk damaging the plastic drive gear for the injection system. when it's lined up properly it will go on nice and easy)
Put the foot peg back on
Re-attach the oil lines to the pump/carb Or re-attach the oil pump.
Then bleed the injection system.

Loosen and remove the small bleed screw on the front of the oil pump. (small Philips head screw)
Place a pan or container under the pump to catch the oil
Allow oil to run out off the bleed hole for 30 to a minute seconds
Put the screw back in and snug it up.

that clutch cover is a pain in the ass. careful with the gear bearing too. im also STILL having a clutch adjusting issue. when i pull the lever in on the handle the gear is still ungaged. it started when i changed the damn oil. the clutch lever is already lined up with the arrow so idk

Thats how mine f*cked up to. It was working perfectly fine before .. how could this happen?..loll
that clutch cover is a pain in the ass. careful with the gear bearing too. im also STILL having a clutch adjusting issue. when i pull the lever in on the handle the gear is still ungaged. it started when i changed the damn oil. the clutch lever is already lined up with the arrow so idk

Hey man thanks for the response.. those ate some really good detauled instructions... thanks a bunch its a big help bro.. ill try to do that.. the whole problem started after i changed the oil.. how do u think this happened?
you need to adjust the push rod...

Loosen the lock nut in the center of the pressure plate. Push the clutch arm forward (left side of engine) with your finger until it stops.
Now with your finger holding the arm forward adjust the adjuster with a Philips screwdriver (star) until the POINT on the clutch arm is lined up with the raised mark on the engine crankcase.
Then simply retighten the lock nut while holding the adjuster from turning. (Re-check the adjustment)

Install a new clutch cover gasket
Put the clutch cover back on. (Make sure you don't force it on or smack it on or you will risk damaging the plastic drive gear for the injection system. when it's lined up properly it will go on nice and easy)
Put the foot peg back on
Re-attach the oil lines to the pump/carb Or re-attach the oil pump.
Then bleed the injection system.

Loosen and remove the small bleed screw on the front of the oil pump. (small Philips head screw)
Place a pan or container under the pump to catch the oil
Allow oil to run out off the bleed hole for 30 to a minute seconds
Put the screw back in and snug it up.

The adjuster jamnut was probably not torqued properly the last time the clutch was tinkered with. The pushrod is threaded (so it doesn't want to move on it's own) but the janut is really what keeps it from turning so the clutch doesn't just fall in and out of asjustment.

It was probably just coincidence it decided to start turning when it did.

so now i got bigger problems.. it started out as it was tough to shift through the gears and it wud get stuck once in a while going from 2-3 and 3-4.. now today i waz tryin to c if the clutch wud wear in and it started gettin stuck in gears.. i now cannot get the quad to shift into anygears past second.. i think i know have big transmistion and clutch problems. unfortunetly i have no money to bring it to get this problem fixed so i basically have to do it myself.. can anyone give me any instructions on how to get into the transmition and fix it. i was told that it might be jammed shift dogs.. is it hard to get into the transmition and fix it. also what tools do i need to do this

U mightve cracked a fiber plate or a few in the clutch basket. 1st off ure gonna need to buy a clutch cover gasket nd get ready for an oil change. Unless u turn the bike on its left side which will spill a little oil neway but saves u an oil change but i'd do it neway if u haven't done that in a while. There DIY on how to remove the cover nd replacing clutch plates. Pretty easy. But order the gasket now nd til it arrives start reading dude