Transmission issues

Lt1350

Jan 8, 2015
Monroe, mi
Hi guys I am a new guy that posted up a couple months ago on here that I just picked up a blaster really cheap that has some transmission issues. It started popping out of gear then the gear shifter locked up, before I bought it. So today I got the motor off and cleaned up real good. First thing I noticed is when I drained the transmission oil it smelled terrible, I'm not sure how much oil it's supposed to have but I figure I drained a quart or maybe a little less. I got the motor up on the work bench and was able to get the gear shifter freed up. Then I pulled the side cover off and it has lots of build up in the bottom that looks to be like clutch debris I am guessing. I started inspecting things in there and noticed the little arm with the roller that engages the shift star is sitting below the shift star, like it is not aligned properly. Does anybody know what would cause this? That is all the farther I got with it for today, but I am thinking that's where the shifting problem must be. I just need to know what caused it so I can correct it. Has anybody else had this happen to them? Thanks for any advise.

you've got a shift star, shift shaft detent or that arm you see, problem.
all are easily fixed or replaced now that your this far.

is the shift star welded on or held with a screw ?
is that screw tight ?
there's also a small keyway in there that may have sheared, or the star is loose allowing the arm to drop below ?

assembly of this can be seen in the KOR engine assembly vids........
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/kor-engine-assembly-vids-no-crank-puller-needed.51169/

Clean the other end of the shift shell before you pull it through. Lit on piece of glass and roll it, looking for center to hump up. Make sure pawl and spring are good, not worn or wobbly.