transmission help

dave280zzz

Feb 4, 2008
toledo ohio
Shortened story..... Piston skirt broke-hole in case- pieces in tranny-got new case-transferred all parts into new case-mounted engine back on blasty-new seals-and fired right up. Yeah i have seen the inside of an engine for the first time and riding around shifting seems harder than normal. I can shift through all gears and back down but difficult to downshift at times. Almost feel like i have to stomp on lever at times. I try adjusting the clutch and finally fearing something is wrong i take off the clutch basket to inspect the shift lever. That is where im at now. My question is should i be able to grab the shifter and shift through all the gears as is now. Cause i cant. I can click up and down from neutral to first and maybe second but something doesnt seem right. Never seeing a tranny before everyone told me before i put cases together that there was only one way. Operation seemed smooth but what do i know anyway thanks in advance for any help. I didnt find any broken pieces in the gears when i was doing my rebuild either

mine to shift thru all the gears (not running) you have to move a little back and foward each gear you change... btw my tranny is perfect and i still have to roll it forward or back