top end rattle

ultrafast30

Jan 17, 2010
Rode 6 hours today and picked up a noise in the top end after a serious flip. Bike ran for 5 min upside down before I could get out from under it and shut it off. I am hoping it is a wrist pin brg. Sounds like a small knock. Vitos 240 kit w/ approx 15 hours on it. Ported on race gas. Klots R50 - 32/1 Plug is actually on the dark side. It is not detonation!! Time to tear it down and check it. Any one come across brg problems

something could have come loose somewhere. Might be a good Idea to go over everything and check nuts and bolts for tightness. also what kind of pipe you running.

sh*t, you must have a big bowl, my banshee will idle for like 30 seconds. i know my blaster didn't idle for over a minute.

I didnt mean for ever i mean a long time like 10-20 min idling and thats not a bad thing at all!!

As for the noise I build outboard drag motors and it sounds like just a wrist pin. I may have to put in my new +3 crank if it is coming down. As far as running upside down. I couldn't believe it would not shut off. AND I have a perfect one inch hole in my butt where the darn handlebar pinned me down . My legs would not move untill someone picked the bike off me!! Everything is fine now with the exception of two broken ribs and a sore butt. The stupid part was- I came off a jump and the handlebars folded down around the tank eliminating the ability to steer!!

1" hole in your butt???? did the bar bufu?

but sounds like you are going to have to tear it down to find out.

and 10-20 minutes is a huge gap and a long time.

Turns out the piston is scuffed on the exhaust side. Cylinder looks good. .. I was riding in a lot of dust. Either dirt is getting by my UNI filter OR it got too hot. The skirt is scuffing. The bore cleaned up nice. I will check clearance after the new piston gets here.

Yeh, I pulled it apart and the piston is scuffed. Got a new one today. The cylinder cleaned up ok. I think I am getting dirt somehow in the intake> I need to disassemble the boot and adapter and make sure they are clean. It probably did not help that I dipped it in 3' of water and killed it either. It restarted right away but dousing the motor in muddy water always sucks.
Thanks guys.

The scuffing could have been normal and not related to the noise or the dirt.

The problems need to be looked at as seperate incidents as well as the possiblity that they are related.

When you dipped it, did you just douse the engine or did you actually injest water? If it injested water you could have done a lot of damage and not really known. That could be your rattle... the crank bearings do NOT like coming to an abrupt stop like hydro-locking can cause.

that is how i distroyed my last crank. It was my first real ride after break in and I started having a little too much fun in the puddles.it sucked to drop all that money on a new crank, piston and bore just to blow it up being stupid. not suggesting you're stupid but we all make mistakes. hope your crank is good.

It turns over very quiet but of course there is really no telling how the bearings look. I did not hydro lock the motor but it did lay down from water injestion. It fired right up and I ran it for another hour since. BUT it is getting noisier. I have a new +3 crank and bearings but I am hoping to ride the balance of the summer then do a full rebuild and report to the crank. I have taken a bath more than once in the boats and as long as you get it shut down before it goes in a good roller or ball bearing can usually handle the abuse. BUT it is really hard on the body. The water is really hard at a hundred!!

I can't say I would pull the entire engine down to check the bearings just because the engine was a little noisy... hell my engine was a little noisy when I put it together and I'm still riding it...but you definitely need to keep a VERY close ear on the noise it's making.

dust really doesn't get through the uni filters all that much. K+N have problems with sand and dust, reason they have outerwears.
but the 3' of water is most likely what is causing the problems. i would take the top end off and take a look down in the bottom end.

did you drain the oil after this f*ck up? was there water in the oil?

Flushed it as soon as I got home. Oil was clean. The whole day turned out to be a dumb a#s attack. Motor is back together tonight and sounds healthy no excessive noise. I am going to tear into my intake and make sure I have no leaks in the carb to filter adapter. I have been using grease under my filter to seal it down. I have the cast Vitos piston in it. This fall when I freshen it I think I will go with a forged piston. I really think this day was self inflicted but we had a great day of riding overall. 73 miles in one day on the GPS.