Tire size and gearing

1994F150YFS200

Feb 16, 2010
new jersey
Hi i was wondering if i could get some advise on what size tire i should get for my blaster. its pretty much stock except for fmf full exhaust and bigger carb i have 18 inch tires on it now and i want to get 20 or 22 inch tires for it. I like top speed but i also do trail riding. will my blaster push 22 inch tires with 14-40 gearing and still have torque or should i get 42 or 44 tooth sprocket for it. i was thinking kenda klaws. Any advise? thanks

I run 14/40 with 22 inch tires and i like it, plenty of power and good topend. I'd say just go down to a 13 up front instead of going bigger in the back if you want to change the gearing.

ok thaks alot. i have 45t rear sprocket and 14t front because thats how i got the bike and its like all torque and it tops out at 42mph lol im gona order a 40t rear sprocket i guess and get the 22s. it makes it have more ground clearance too thats why i want 22s and for the top speed.

Yea 14/45 would be slightly lower gearing than stock, with those 18 inch tires I'm sure its lacking on topend lol. The 14/40 will definitely help get some topend back, and should still have plenty of power.

yeah its lacking top end alright haha im getting a 40t sprocket and ill just get 20 inch kenda claws. 22 would be awesome but 20s will suit me well.

I had 22" mud lites on stock gearing and loved it. The front end like to come up when you go on it. It went plenty fast but I rarely used 6th....I mainly like to play on somewhat technical woodsy trails where 4th is about it. There are big wide open areas next to fields and through sand pits and such that I do 6th gear in and it goes plenty fast....

hmm mud lights i would love to get them and douglas rims but how long to mudlights last? i dont do much road riding so they should last pretty long right? what ply are they?

I duno, I only had them on for like 8 months before the quad got stolen!! I don't do much road riding at all....other than when there is snow on the road. I have trails in my back yard that connect to lots of riding areas, so I would say I put less than 4 road miles total on the tires in the time I owned them, most of it all straight line down the road (which is best for the tires, turning on pavement kills them). They barely showed any signs of wear, the tread depth was probably the same as new just the points were slightly rounded off a bit on the lugs.

They're 6 ply tires. I LOVED mine! I miss them so much!! I had the mud lite ATs, not the SP ones which may be even lighter. The ATs have 3/4" of tread depth.