timing advance?

fox396

Feb 3, 2011
pa
im thinking about advancing the timing on my blaster. what kinda performance would it give me and is it worth it or is it gunna hurt my engine?

i have boyesen dual stage power reeds, 14t front sprocket, high compression head gasket, and i will be adding a 28mm carb with a pod air filter before i do any timing changes

i changed mine 4 degrees and it f*cked my engine it would pop and backfire at full throttle. it may be cuz i have a keyway that it is about a 1/2mm skinnier and it was advanceing to much but i didnt try it halfway just went back to stock

i think most guys with a (lets call it basically stock) no porting no exhaust and such a +2 degree advance would be max. it doesnt do much for power unless you have the mods that need the advance

as with any modified engine, the components need to be able to work together. If you want the most out of your engine your going to have to find out what works best for you and what kind of riding you do. As with any power modification it will come with a price, as in longevity of your engine. running a high compression headgasket already has an effect on engine temps and running a timming advance together with this could bring you to the edge of what your engine can handle on pump gas. If you planed on running high octane im sure a timming advance would be a good option for more power but if not Its hard to say it would handle it. In your case I would say ditch that high compression headgasket and get the head modified. this will still raise compression but also optimise your combustion for more reliable power.

as with any modified engine, the components need to be able to work together. If you want the most out of your engine your going to have to find out what works best for you and what kind of riding you do. As with any power modification it will come with a price, as in longevity of your engine. running a high compression headgasket already has an effect on engine temps and running a timming advance together with this could bring you to the edge of what your engine can handle on pump gas. If you planed on running high octane im sure a timming advance would be a good option for more power but if not Its hard to say it would handle it. In your case I would say ditch that high compression headgasket and get the head modified. this will still raise compression but also optimise your combustion for more reliable power.

very good info Surf. blasters have a terrible squish band and maxing compression with a stock head will inevitably lead to detonation. a redesigned head will as mentioned be more reliable, reduce detonation threshold and therefore allow you to go further with mods. ie the timing.
What i suggest is try the timing but make sure your jetting is on the rich side to allow for cooler running. ive always found the 4degree timining mod gives me more thrust at bottom end, initial pull off, cant vouch for anything on topend as i tested top speeds, but like Surf says, it all works together with other stuff