throttle twist or thumb

Ready2rev

Sep 26, 2008
Vermont
does anyone have likes or dislikes on the twist throttle or thumb? I have always had dirtbikes growing up and now since i will be getting a blaster. I was thinking of buying a twist for it since im already familiar with it. does anyone run the twist throttle?

well my wrist is pretty built now since ive been riding dirtbikes since i was 10 yrs old. but does anyone have strain on there thumb?

Last edited:
I have ridden a dirt bike with a thumb throttle and I liked it alot. If I get another dirt bike I am going to put on a thumb throttle. I won't put one on any of my street bikes though as my thumb would go numb on long rides- from lack of modulation.

ya the thumb throttle is really going to be hard to get used to. ill probly end up twisting off my hand grip...lol

Dont get a twist i had one for 4 years and although you get used to it, it isnt good on a quad what happens when you try to jump is when you land you pull back on the handle bars and give unintentional throttle, which will get you injured, with dirtbikes you control alot with your legs at the footpegs this is what allows twist throttle to go well on dirtbikes, while with atv's you control more with your hands. Keep the thumb, trust me, been there done that.

I just installed a twist throttle about two days ago, and am very happy with it. Just to me feels like more control on the steering, the down side as the other guys said is "wheelies" and "jumps". I about busted my ass when i dumped it out of second and tried to hang on and twisted the throttle more. It couldnt of been no closer to flipping. Just user preference, anything different takes getting used to .. ...

I've been debating on switching to a twist, buy really I think thumb is the smartest way to go. Ultimately I have decided to just stick to the thumb.

You also get a problem when turning because if you turn left you leen left and the throttle is hard to controle in turning left and giving a power slide threw the turn...

If you tend to use a lot of body english while riding, the twist throttle is a nightmare. On the other hand, if it were straight up drag racing ONLY I'd highly prefer the twist.