Throttle Cable Adjustment - 2003 Model

lknblaster

Nov 20, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Second post here (first in the introduction section)! Picked up a 2003 last night and seems like it's a solid find for what I paid. I have great compression, fat spark when switched to run. I need fuel. Therein lies the rub.

I can't for the life of me adjust the tension in the thumb throttle correctly with the TORS system. Before I go further, I do plan on eliminating that system, but I want to hear the thing run to ensure all else works before I start snipping wires from the harness. I'll leave it be for now.

Here's what I'm seeing: I have a slack cable all the way until the throttle is about 90% compressed. Then the cable gains tension (hook catches the throttle arm in the throttle housing) and the throttle feels normal for the last 10% till it's at wide open. In other words the slide only engages and rises right when the throttle is about 90% open WHEN THE CARB SLIDE IS IN THE CARB. Anything before that is slack with no tension.

If you take the TORS, carb cap and slide out and let it dangle, the throttle feels perfect and the slide retracts with little free play before engaging. As soon as you put the slide in the slide bore and screw the cap on, you lose the tension. Seems like a simple adjustment to remove the slack right? I've opened the TORS box, adjusted the throttle adjuster at the housing full max and mix. Scratching my head...

Hoping there's a simple solution out there. Also looking for a manual if anyone has a lead to where if can be downloaded.

Some pics...

when you're putting the actual round slide down into the carb throat, are you aligning the slot on the slide with the little pin on the kicker side, down in the carb throat ?
they must align, and the slide only goes in one way.

it working when out leads me to believe thats the problem once inserted into the carb

Yessir - cutaway facing the intake side. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. Agree the slide only goes in one way. Otherwise I'll be revving to high heavens :)

Maybe this will help, when the slide is inserted in the carb it still functions fine. Only when the cap is screwed down and the spring is compressed does the slack then occur.

Is there any reason at all for me to have to remove the covers of the TORS for adjustment? Is the only adjustment at the throttle housing the threaded stud entering the housing, or is there an adjustment I can do inside the housing do determine how the hook catches the lever?

no adjustments inside that i know of, take the cover off and watch the action of the slide bars and cables connected ?

might be time to order that tors delete kit and cap.

What AWK is saying is there's a pin where the slide goes in. And on the side of the slide there's a slot. That pin must align with the slot. It allows the slide to slide all the way down into the carb. That's why when it's not in the carb it feels fine. The cutaway piece is for the idle screw when you delete the TORS. If that's facing the intake, the slide is in incorrectly.

image.jpg
Is this the cutout your mentioning? If it is it should face the left side of the carb if standing behind the bike. The alignment pin is on the right side.

Fast6hand - we are referring to two different "cutaways." I'm referring to the bottom of the slide. One side is flat (straight across) and the other side arches up in a curve. On every other bike I've worked on, the cutaway faces the engine.

As far as the pin and slot, I agree with you for sure. What you're saying makes perfect sense if the slide isn't all the way in the bore and I'm compressing the spring. I'll play with that to make sure it's going all the way down.

I think I have the slide in backwards......ha! That's what happens when you park the thing in the opposite direction of all the other motors in your garage.

:(

You guys are right - It must be in backwards. Rookie mistake. Ha. I guess what' what i get for dinking with it at midnight last night when I got it home :)

Reactions: bummer981