Thoughts on partially seized motor.

well its partially seized. I can still kick it over and she grinds. I even got it to start up but it ran like sh*t so I didn't touch it again.

I would take the cylinder off and inspect the crank for movement or something broken before splitting the cases...by the sounds of it though I would think that crank is shot

Worked on a Blaster few yrs ago that the RT seal was in pieces and trans was bone dry. Came to me for carb clean, first start up it went into auto ignition, crazy SHIZZ..
I would still leak test before teardown/inspection.

Worked on a Blaster few yrs ago that the RT seal was in pieces and trans was bone dry. Came to me for carb clean, first start up it went into auto ignition, crazy SHIZZ..
I would still leak test before teardown/inspection.
auto ignition? and yea im gonna tear it down this weekend. Ill just do the complete rebuild and never have to touch it for the rest of the life (hopefully)

Auto ignition or runaway. Running so lean that the spark plug instantly becomes a glow plug and it revs like it's WFO, kill/key won't kill it. Only way is stuff something in carb, rip carb off, or pull clutch, hold brakes, shift into gear, dump the clutch. You will SHIZZ yor pantaloons when it happens :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: ford_guy
Haha that sounds terrifying I hate unstoppable redline on anything! I am trying to avoid that. You think the seal replacement is the way to cheap out and ill end up blowing the motor again or just go full rebuild?

Disassembly and inspection is the only way in my opinion.
How long has it been since that engine has been apart?
If was pretty recently, something is definitely wrong.
If it has ... say... a billion hours on it, its time to do it anyway.
Longevity and reliability should be your goal. Why "half ass it" just for the sake of riding it?

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Disassembly and inspection is the only way in my opinion.
How long has it been since that engine has been apart?
If was pretty recently, something is definitely wrong.
If it has ... say... a billion hours on it, its time to do it anyway.
Longevity and reliability should be your goal. Why "half ass it" just for the sake of riding it?
I had rebuilt it and I put maybe 20 hours on it since the rebuild. After I put the toomey on I blew it up within 3 hours of riding! I only rebuilt the top end as well.

Last edited:
The main causes of a partial seizure are closed head injurys and pre-existing seizure conditions. They typically are followed by a complete seizure. Did you lose conciousness? Did you wet yourself? Regardless a seizure that is not normal to you ALWAYS requires immediate medical attention and should be addressed by an ER Doctor at a hospital rather than a forums about Yamaha Blasters.

The main causes of a partial seizure are closed head injurys and pre-existing seizure conditions. They typically are followed by a complete seizure. Did you lose conciousness? Did you wet yourself? Regardless a seizure that is not normal to you ALWAYS requires immediate medical attention and should be addressed by an ER Doctor at a hospital rather than a forums about Yamaha Blasters.
hahahaha nice

Ok so I took it apart and brought it to the guy who knows everything about blasters. We inspected to see minimal scratches in cylinder and a massive amount of dirt in the crank. Basically dirt got into the intake somehow. The top end can be rerung and reused but looks l like a bottom end rebuild! I found the kenny oconner video on youtube so I am hoping to do this within 2 weeks but we will see about that one haha. I will post pictures of rebuild upon request!

Chevy4life is my friend trolling

he can thank you for that heads up, as his post was written very similar to the pakastani spammers I ban everyday on here, and he almost got the axe along with them, but his IP address wasn't Punjab Pakistan :)

I will post pictures of rebuild upon request!

of course we want pics !

Reactions: ford_guy