Switching brands of oil

B

Boosted b6teen

Ok, So I am going down Thursday to pick up my new 2006 blaster. They said it is brand new except for them pulling it in and out of the dealership I guess. My question is, if they are running normal Yamaha brand oil in it(which I know they are), is it ok if I switch to bel-ray or silkolene? Ive heard before that once you run a 2 stroke on a certain type of oil in the fuel its bad to switch. Any truth to this?

they say the same thing about motor oil for automobiles. the problems really come from switching between conventional oil and synthetic, or running mixed brands at the same time. you should have no problems by switching brands, especially if you plan on sticking w/ the new brand. however, i have heard many many people swear by yamalube, and have heard it rated up there with bel-ray.

bottom line, if you want to change it, drain the tank so you're not mixing brands. other than that you shouldn't have any problems. you can switch FROM conventional TO synthetic, but the way synthetic bonds to the metal, switching back to conventional can be an issue. that being said, we have drained many motors of synthetic, filled it with conventional, changed the filter, and had 0 problems. if you're overly paranoid, you can run the conventional for a couple hundred miles in a car then change the oil again to make sure you've scrubbed most of the synthetic out of the system.

^^ you are new. bel-ray gear saver is defently the best and highest rated. everyone i talk to EVEN A YAMAHA WORKER, the guy in the parts section, the place were they sell all the oils.......told me to go with bel ray and its better. 80W90 btw.