Suzuki LTZ400 rear shock

ididdy

Apr 16, 2012
WA State
I just got through installing a Suzuki LTZ400 rear shock onto my blaster. I used Ken Oconnnor's bolt and bushing kit which works great by the way. The problem I am having is with the lower mount. I drilled it out to 12mm and the pin fits in it perfect but there is about an inch of slop on either side of the shock. Is this normal?

yep, most of the stock and aftermarket shocks from other bikes will need some washers added to make up the extra width of our mount,
i just did my 400ex elka shock
evenly space them on each side and you'll be golden
if there is actually an inch on each side ?, you may be better off using some type of spacers? but washers will work

It will be fine with the spacing. With the upper mount and thought lower mount,there's no where it can go but in the middle.

i beleive so. any chance you got a picture?

Here is the pic.
IMG_20120519_190342.jpg

yep, most of the stock and aftermarket shocks from other bikes will need some washers added to make up the extra width of our mount,
i just did my 400ex elka shock
evenly space them on each side and you'll be golden
if there is actually an inch on each side ?, you may be better off using some type of spacers? but washers will work

That is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks thats what I will do. May have been exaggerating on the inch. Closer to a 1/2" on each side.

Last edited:
It will be fine with the spacing. With the upper mount and thought lower mount,there's no where it can go but in the middle.

It wasnt wanting to stay in the middle. I had to push it into the middle before I took the pic above. It was all the way to the left side of the pin.

It wasnt wanting to stay in the middle. I had to push it into the middle before I took the pic above. It was all the way to the left side of the pin.

exactly what they all wanna do...push to the left ?
2/3 washers on each side will cure that
i used stainless washers from ace hardware, and greased each one

???? I'm not understanding how it could. It seems the bottom of the shock would have to be cocked to move the lower mount to one side. The top mount can't move side to side so the so the bottom shouldn't if the hole is a snug fit. Enlighten me if I'm wrong. I'm here to teach what I know and learn what I don't.

My Pep rear shock had some "slop" on the top. I made a little spacer and it works great now. Ill get a picture for you although your case is on the bottom it still might help. ill get a pic next week.

???? I'm not understanding how it could. It seems the bottom of the shock would have to be cocked to move the lower mount to one side. The top mount can't move side to side so the so the bottom shouldn't if the hole is a snug fit. Enlighten me if I'm wrong. I'm here to teach what I know and learn what I don't.

I dunno, the top mount is very snug and the pin also fits very snug. It might have something to do with it being an LTZ400 shock rather than a 400EX. I noticed with a 400EX in the Ken Oconnor how to video that the 400EX shock uses needle bearing on the top mount and this LTZ shock uses a rubber isolated busing. The rubber would let it have a slight amount of give side to side and a slight bit at the top is going to be quite a bit further at the bottom where the bottom mount is. Only explanation I can think of for it.

I dunno, the top mount is very snug and the pin also fits very snug. It might have something to do with it being an LTZ400 shock rather than a 400EX. I noticed with a 400EX in the Ken Oconnor how to video that the 400EX shock uses needle bearing on the top mount and this LTZ shock uses a rubber isolated busing. The rubber would let it have a slight amount of give side to side and a slight bit at the top is going to be quite a bit further at the bottom where the bottom mount is. Only explanation I can think of for it.

Thanks for the input. I have the Z400 shock on mine. I'll have to keep an eye on it when I ride.

I find his ordeal weird. I too have a z400 rear shock but mine stays in the middle without me touching it. He may have drilled his lower hole slightly looser. That would be my only guess, but a few washers won't hurt.

I find his ordeal weird. I too have a z400 rear shock but mine stays in the middle without me touching it. He may have drilled his lower hole slightly looser. That would be my only guess, but a few washers won't hurt.

Quite the opposite. It was a tight fit. I had to tap it with a hammer to push it through.