Works Performance Shocks...bushing replacements??

kmg108

Jan 19, 2018
Frederick, Maryland
I'm trying to build a nice front end on my 2006 Blaster rebuild with my son. I recently purchased a set of ASR +3 +1 Long Travel arms. To compliment these, I also purchased a used set of Works shocks what are triple spring with external rezzie and 16.25" long. This is the length that ASR recommends.

The shocks seem to be in great shape, but the only problem I'm having is the bushings inside the lower shock eyelets are pretty rough (aka non-existent). They appear to be a swivel type, but there are no rubber seals or shims to accompany them. As such, I was looking for a diagram of what parts to order. I have no issue pressing out the spherical insert and getting something that is just straight (like the factory shock eyelets).

Because I'm a believer in using the search function, I located this thread:

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/works-pefrormance-shocks-nead-bushing-help.60787/

Unfortunately, the information within it is no longer valid because Works Performance Shocks is now out of business, and all the resource links we could reference on their site are now dead.

What are you guys doing when you need new bushings? Do I need to contact RaceTech, or some other vendor to obtain them? I just don't know what specifically to ask for since these aren't a factory shock.

Also, here is a rant: It's frustrating trying to locate bushings for a "Works" shock when there is a company that makes bushings called "Pivot Works". They don't appear to be the same, but it really clogs up my search attempts because of the shared use of the word "Works". End rant.

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

the original bushings in any works shock I've had or seen is called an Igus bushing.
what you're describing sounds like a Heim joint ? which I have never seen on any works shock.
get us some pics ?

They just recently went under. If you have a Race Tech near you,, take it there, they may be able to help.

Next option would be to contact Pivot Works, see if they can help.

Then search eBay for "shock bushing" may be other suppliers , such as All balls.

Try googling shock bushing.

Reactions: Awk08
Have to purchase through works and since they are gone it might be a crap shoot to find them. I may just may have a set of them. I will have to look around if I can get motivated in the cold weather.

Reactions: kmg108
Well, I didn't have any luck finding the exact bushings that were in the shocks. I did locate several suppliers that sell something similar, but the sizes are different.

I managed to press out the old damaged bushings, and located some microscopic lettering on them. Through some internet research, I did locate the manufacturer of the bushing. Off the top of my head, I believe it was called OKO. The spherical parts are about $10 each, but I still need to locate the rubber seals that are placed on either side of the spherical before it gets installed.

In the meantime, I have another set of shocks to run. I will revisit the spherical mounts when all the other issues with the quad are resolved. I will post what I end up with, as I'm certain someone will need this information at some point

Reactions: Awk08
I am glad I came across this. I am in need of replacing the joints in my works shock as well. The company @kmg108 is referring to is most likely IKO Nippon. The rubber parts are just standard orings being used a crude dust seal.

Mine have hats pressed onto them so its going to be hard to get exact dimensions. The best I can do is the bore appears to be ~22mm. The length from hat to hat is 19.3mm. The body of the bearing inside the hole is ~9.16mm. The through hole is 10.15mm but I think the hats are pressed in and necking it down to the actual spherical bearing has a much larger hole diameter.

I cant find the metric version of this bearing and all signs point to it being inch. Diameter .875, thickness of the body .36, and a .5 through hole. QA1 sells a bearing similar to these dimensions. Specifically the GEZ12ES
https://www.qa1.net/rod-ends-and-related/spherical-bearings/gez-series

Reactions: kmg108