Stuck in 4th gear

Danny G

May 17, 2014
Hello,
I've got a 2002 yamaha blaster that I picked up as a project. Its back together,with a rebuilt engine(we did the top and bottom end), and is very hesitant to shift . When it was taken for a test ride, I was able to fight with it to get it into first but it wasn't an issue to upshift to 2nd and 3rd. Even when its not running and I'm rocking it back in forth it'll only go between the top two highest gears and on a rare occasion will go into lower gears. I've started to tear it apart for the second time and now its locked in 4th gear. The shift star will only move a tiny bit. I did notice that the shift star has one of the ends chipped off. Is this end supposed to be neutral and could the problem have been that the shift star was incorrectly installed? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

yep, the "missing" point" (notch) is nuetral

check that the detent/return springs on the shift shaft are returning it to it's nuetral position,
(2 little spring ends near the star)
it has to do that before it will shift up or down to the next gear.
shift.jpg

watch these vids on engine assembly,one of them will cover installation of the shift shaft and alignment of the shift star...............
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/kor-engine-assembly-vids-no-crank-puller-needed.51169/

yep, the "missing" point" (notch) is nuetral

check that the detent/return springs on the shift shaft are returning it to it's nuetral position,
(2 little spring ends near the star)
it has to do that before it will shift up or down to the next gear.
View attachment 10046

watch these vids on engine assembly,one of them will cover installation of the shift shaft and alignment of the shift star...............
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/kor-engine-assembly-vids-no-crank-puller-needed.51169/
Thanks for the videos! Those will help in the future but the shift shaft is out and the shift star is still locked

Did you try bench shifting it when first reassembled? How are you trying to turn the drum now? Did all forks look good when you had it apart? No excessive wear or burn marks?
Did you follow a manual for assembly?

Did you try bench shifting it when first reassembled? How are you trying to turn the drum now? Did all forks look good when you had it apart? No excessive wear or burn marks?
Did you follow a manual for assembly?
No, we didn't do any of that because we didn't touch any of the transmission. I just decided to tear it all down again, pull the transmission and forks and put it back together.

When it was all torn apart, it turned out that a little piece of the shift cam was missing