stuck dowel pin

diesel

Jun 10, 2009
Jacksonville, Illinois
Anyone ever run across a chewed up dowel pin between the cylinder base and lower end? The neighbor kid has a Blaster getting a new top-end and his dowels need replaced, the only problem is they won't come out. F_cked up and stuck. I should probably put the propane torch on the aluminum and see if I can get them out (I just haven't removed the gas tank yet, and I definitely need to before hot work) If I have to remove the cylinder base studs in order to remove the dowel pins, how bad is stud removal on these quads?

everytime i remove the jug the dowels are loose and very easy to remove?
take the gas tank off and pull them straigt up.

nah, studs are easy to pull. you might need to have a breaker bar handy...

the double nut method worked for me when i had to replace studs. the dowels depending on how bad they are in can give some trouble but pulling or jerking in bursts straight up will get them out. try soaking first with a rust penetration oil.

I came across that problem, 1 of my dowels had alot of corrosion on it and would not come out. I brought this loctite Freeze and release stuff that after 3 tries broke it free.

Thanks for all the replies. I put the old base gasket back on the engine to protect the cases while I messed with the dowel. Sounds like it's really just a matter of pulling the stud out of the way and getting the vice grips on the dowel. Flipping through the manual, I didn't see anything about the cylinder base studs...how much torque on those when I reinstall?

Its been a real treat working on my neighbors abused Blaster...I haven't had this much bad luck since I owned an '85 Quadracer 250.

Some a__hole must have over-tightened the cylinder base studs, because when I double-nutted the right-rear stud and tried to remove it, it twisted off under fairly light pressure. So now, all because of a stupid dowel pin, I have a 10mm nub of the base stud sticking up out of the case and that's all that's left to grab onto.

I'm thinking it's going to need heat at this point...suggestions?

Last edited:
Yea def heat it up and hit it with some pb blaster or wd 40. I hate when sh*t never goes like its supposed to.

My dad suggested I have someone weld a nut to the top of the broken stud and remove it that way, so that's the route I'm going to go. I looked on the net for more info and found this. Definitely a link worth checking out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Blaster hasn't had a good life, or more correctly, hasn't had a good mechanic...ever. The top-end which sported one missing dowel pin and one f_cked up dowel pin is continuing it's evil ways...the machine shop welded a nut to the broken stud, tried to remove it, and broke it off further down inside the engine case. So now the drill and tap come into play. This quad is now running into some serious labor $$$. A harsh reminder of why I don't work on other people's stuff. I guess I should've just stuffed one new dowel in the engine, ignored the one that was a little oxidized/f_cked up, and slapped the thing back together...but I just can't do stuff that way.