stock main jet size difference?

dave280zzz

Feb 4, 2008
toledo ohio
Ive had some confusion on my part about the stock size main jet. A pdf manual i have says 220. And a revised 03-06 blaster manual says 230. Just never heard that there was a difference. Is this true and why if it is the same motor and carb. thanks just wondering

I just went back though the pdf and it must be a typo cause in section 5.1 it shows #220 but later at the end it shows #230 in a supplimental section

just a new kid on the block. Your Forum is really helpful to us novices.

I just got my kids a nice stock 03' Blaster. I have taken off the air box and gone to a K & N. Will that change require re-jetting?I:I

Yamaha Service Manual states a #220 main jet.

The supplementary manual gives reasons for using a #230 main at lower temps.

Some bikes are fitted with a #220, others a #230 it depends where the bike was bought.

If you have a #220 in there replace with a #230 and plug chop.

Cartblast, put that lid back on until you have fitted at least a #260 main jet, then plug chop to confirm, your children will thank you.

I have a stock blaster motor fresh rebuilt 1/4 tank ran threw it ,new crank, rod ,seals whole nine...its got a stock 230 main nd stock pilot jet it has a fmf gold series fatty with fmf powercore 2 silencer..im running 32:1 fuel mix air screw at 1 turn out ..running a br8es plug..is this safe to say im not going to cook this engine

Its also winter at the moment 32degrees..nd colder at pionts ...i need help keeping my machine running safe

Don't run it until you increase the main jet !! Go to FMF website ,it will list recommends jet size for a specific temp & elevation. This would be for otherwise stock setup. Anytime you change change how air goes in or out you have to adjust jetting.
Do you have any other mods? It all !matters!!
Also have to compensate for temps.

Someone with experience with FMF might chime in.

Don't run it until you increase the main jet !! Go to FMF website ,it will list recommends jet size for a specific temp & elevation. This would be for otherwise stock setup. Anytime you change change how air goes in or out you have to adjust jetting.
Do you have any other mods? It all !matters!!
Also have to compensate for temps.

Someone with experience with FMF might chime in.

Just the exhaust and airlid Is all

Last edited by a moderator:
LMGTFY
According to their site 1500' @ 70* F = 260 M and stock pilot, 3rd clip on needle.
You didn't mention elevation ,so presume same. No lid?
I would start with a 300 and work your way down with plug chop.
Always start large and work down.
Probably end up 280/270 for summer.

FYI, next time start a new thread.