Stock expansion chamber modifications?

mastuhblastuh

Nov 21, 2016
Hello fellas! i was turned onto a possible lead that maybe the baffle inside the stock expansion chamber may have rusted apart and is causing problems with my quad... i know a good aftermarket exhaust would be ideal.. and one day il make it happen. but for now, is there any modifications i can do to the stock pipe to make if more effective? would taking the baffle out of it help at all? would taking anything out of it help at all??? i read that just about all (if not all) the aftermarket pipes have nothing inside them... i just seen a forum on here that a guy used a boroscope inside of a stock pipe and theres all kinds of stuff in there... what do you guys think??? the silencer i have isnt stock but im pretty sure it just came off another bike... doesnt look like anything fancy and it doesnt have any markings on it that i have noticed.

somewhere on here is a thread with pictures of someone who cut open the stock expansion chamber and removed that baffle that had come loose and was flopping around in there, then welded the cut out back on.
same as happened to me, but I ditched mine for an aftermarket exhaust.

removing that baffle is the only mod you may gain anything from.

IMG_4169.JPG
numerous baffles, sound deadening, cones, tubes. I have a bunch more pics but you get the idea.

View attachment 29434 numerous baffles, sound deadening, cones, tubes. I have a bunch more pics but you get the idea.
jimmer, you may actually be the one who i seen the pics from. either way, what is that plate in the back of the visible part inside the pipe with the 2 big holes in it? that looks like its blocking a lot of space... would it be beneficial to take that out? if i understand correctly there is nothing inside aftermarket pipes right?? in your opinion what should i do with the stock chamber just to get me through the winter?

Yes I did the pipe borescope. What makes you think your pipe has failed? A "real" chamber has nothing inside. If your pipe is indeed broke inside then I would remove ALL of the internal baffles/cones.

Yes I did the pipe borescope. What makes you think your pipe has failed? A "real" chamber has nothing inside. If your pipe is indeed broke inside then I would remove ALL of the internal baffles/cones.
i cant say for sure that my pipe is broken.. but im having an issue with my quad that anything over half throttle it wants to just fall on its face... iv done everything but a leak down test (i know i know that should be first.. but i dont have the money for the tester right now) to me it feels like a fuel air issue. but if the pipe doesnt act right it can not only lose its effect, it can even rob power. got a new carb, jetted, clean air filter, sprayed everything with ether to find NO change in idle, idles awesome to. spark is a very bright blue also...

here is the link to the other thread i posted explaining everything i know about the issue i have and what iv done to try n fix it:
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/anything-over-half-throttle-is-useless.65768/#post-800193