Stock airbox sucks, so....

doc_speeder

Feb 14, 2009
Lethbridge AB
I really, really hate the stock airbox. I just COULD NOT get mine to run properly with the lid on, and well with the lid off, this type of stuff in the videos is a BAD IDEA!

Sept2009mudrunquading030.flv video by docspeed1 - Photobucket

P8280028.flv video by docspeed1 - Photobucket

So, I had some 1/8" 6061 aluminum around and I built one. I don't have access (or know how) to TIG, but some aluminum angle, some screws, and some automotive body adhesive/seam sealer does the trick too!

I still need to put in the fittings and pipe for the intake snorkle and the pipe down to the carb. I'll do that when I get my top end back from Wildcard.

It's not the prettiest, but it's weather tight, very sturdy, quite light weight, and should breathe good enough to leave the lid on.

IMG_4023.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good I'm running a filter and velocity stack dual stage uni and a outerwears I was thinking about making a splash shield I sometimes like to do some beach runs the extra protection wouldn't hurt

There will be a 2" ID snorkle running up from the right side hole up close to where the factory snorkel was with a rubber splash shield. The other side will have a fitting with a Uni clamp-on filter on it with a 2" ID pipe to the carb.

There will be a 2" ID snorkle running up from the right side hole up close to where the factory snorkel was with a rubber splash shield. The other side will have a fitting with a Uni clamp-on filter on it with a 2" ID pipe to the carb.

sounds like a pretty well thought out setup. can't wait to see the finished product

you could have just used some clear silicone and it would of looked a bit cleaner

Yeah I could have, but this stuff is AMAZING. Incredibly strong bond. It's a structural adhesive made for metal that is subject to vibration, not just a sealant. I don't care too much that it's not pretty. I don't usually ride around with my seat off looking at the airbox :D

the first vid is just asking for a messed up quad.he should known he wasnt making it thru that

Haha, yeah, that's my buddy on a Z400. He's in the "beat it till it dies camp". Then he goes home, fixes it all up and does it again! He's a lot of fun to ride with, and that quad is maintained better than many others are. He rides hard, but spends the time and money to make it right after he breaks stuff.

Haha, yeah, that's my buddy on a Z400. He's in the "beat it till it dies camp". Then he goes home, fixes it all up and does it again! He's a lot of fun to ride with, and that quad is maintained better than many others are. He rides hard, but spends the time and money to make it right after he breaks stuff.

well i guess thats good then