Still better than 89's

I'm just curious as to where in America there is 30 mile stretch that you can run an atv without having to break or at least let off the throttle ?

ah, an rd350 is a streetbike with a version of the twin cylinder banshee engine in it.

part if the problem with this air cooled engine being held wide open is the blasters tranny gearing ratio,
in 6th gear wide open it's still screaming bloody murder

how would only going half throttle cause that????????

Lean needle setting.

The overheating was caused by detonation, just look at the crown of the piston.

The burn was incomplete, the gases were still combusting well after the piston reached the exhaust port.

There is a lesson to be learnt here, a 2 stroke must be always be operated " on the pipe ".

Last edited:
Constant granny riding is a blasters enemy, its better to be in a lower gear at higher rpm's than it is to be in a higher gear at lower rpm's. Please don't shy away from my point, I'm not saying its better to be pinned at or near max revs, I'm saying its better to be in a lower gear at/around 5000rpm's than it is to be in a higher gear at/around 3000rpm's ! Remember the crank throws oil around to lubricate, more adgatation = more lubrication.

How's the Rebuild coming along Herp?

Good question... Im calling Ken Monday. He got the engine last monday/tuesday, so there might be progress idk.

Im boreing/honeing, full porting, and a head mod. Also will be getting all OEM gaskets from him.

Ordered the case saver from specialized7 (idk when it will be here)

I stripped 4/5 of the stator cover screws, so time to hit the tractor supply. Also need to get head and jug nuts yet.

All in all, im guessing its about $450 (ouch...) I picked up a few more hours and will be able to cover it right after i rob my bank (account).

Heres my question... Am i supposed to order two intake gaskets? jug-reeds , reed- carb intake?

I thought the one on the carb was a little tough coming off, and after i got it off i wondered if it was supposed to...

Any gaskets i can reuse? The head one i know i can... The jug one also looks like metal?

Sounds like a good rebuild. Sucks that your breaking the bank, but hopefully the extra hours help out.

Id get all new gaskets. OEM or Cometic.

The intake gasket question, you should only need one Jug to reeds. Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong, The reeds to carb side has a rubber seal in it that has some type of bonding agent applied to it.
Hope this helps.
Fred

Went to menards I:I

Whats torque spec on the stator and clutch side cover? (new bolts for strator for now)

Also, can i use the same nuts for the head and jug? but put washer under the jugs ones? they didnt have metric with flanges like the stock jug nuts

(i bought more for jug, but didnt take them out)

Also just called Ken to get an update, he said it was bored, and porting/head mod will be done wednesday. Ordering piston, and he can ship it back early next week.

So i should be ripping in two weeks I:I (at 3/4 throttle anyhow :p )

Good to see some progress. That's not all that bad of an investment though. As for gaskets, yes I believe the reed cage has a rubber sealing ring that you can use a sealant on. I wouldn't waste the time reusing the head gasket either. Just toss a new one in. I don't see the use of reusing cheap head gaskets on these things. Now if they are $35 or more like my 450R's, they get reused but they are a multi layer gasket with composite sealing material in the center than lasts a very long time.