Starts then dies

Trent Windom

Mar 8, 2012
I was riding down the road and my quad bogged then died. I brought it back home and it started then died again. What could this be?

if it started bogging down and then died it may be blown up possably out of gas but the first thing I would do is leak test it

First thing to look for is fuel starvation, make sure there is a good supply to the float bowl.

If fuel is flowing freely from the drain when you crack open the drain screw, suspect an air leak.

It is getting fuel. It's not blown up because it will start then bog and stall. But you have to wait about 5-10 mins for it to start again. Where would an air leak be?

What would cause slow fuel flow?

Starting from the top.

No fuel.

Tap on main when little fuel in tank, try reserve.

Blocked vent tube on filler cap.

Dirt in tank.

Blocked petcock filter.

Pinched fuel line.

Dirt above needle and seat.

Stuck needle.

Sticky float.

Dirt in float bowl.

Dirt in jets.

If it turns out not to be a fuel issue, try replacing the spark plug, I had ran into a similar problem on one of my bikes in the past. turned out to be a bad plug, the porcelin insulation had a hairline crack in it, causing the current to ground out to the cylinder head and quit running only tempararily.

No I don't have a leak down tester. Could there still be a fuel problem because it runs good while it is running?

If there is a fuel starvation problem it may run good until there is not enough fuel in the float bowl to cover the main jet.

Then it will stop until the fuel has reached a level where it will start again.

Is the tank vent free of obstructions.

Well I checked to see if the fuel line was flowing correctly and its was. I pulled it off and fuel ran out quickly. Any other ideas?

Crack the float bowl screw open and see if you get a steady dribble of fuel for at least 20 seconds, if not there could be an obstruction at the needle and seat.