starting problems

fergie

Dec 6, 2008
comber northern ireland
hi i recently went out to my blaster after it sitting for over a week i drained the fuel as the oil and petrol separated after a while it started i then ran it until it was empty when i went out again i put fresh petrol + oil in it but couldnt get it to start for ages this happens every time i go out now has any1 got any ideas????

it sometimes takes awhile to get fuel mixture in to crank case. sitting for a week gas would be fine...unless u r flooding bike. dont pump throttle maybe a few times at first, then keep it depresed all the way in. other wise u r pumping mre fuel into the crank case/cylinder

check your plug then do a compression test and see what your compression is like. does it seem like it kicks over easier then it used to.

no it should still be good. check it to see what color it is. you may need a top end rebuild. is it easier to kick over then before.

do a compression test, kick it over like 5 times for it, and tell us what comp is, then we can further assist you, could be something as small as a air leak or a dirty filter!

a compression tester is a guage that gives you in psi how much compression your bike has. if looks like a guage with a hose attatched to it. at the end of the hose there is an attatchment that has threads similar to whats on your spark plug. you screw it in to you plug hole and kick it over 5 times or so. read the guage and it will tell you what the compression is. im not sure what the norm is. guess it depends on cc size and what not. its really easy to do. it will also assist you in a leak down test. if it holds compression then you should be good.

blaster guy i like the avatar. is that pic going in the calendar

i went out 2nyt and was able to kick it i started within 3 tyms but died like it was getting enough fuel any ideas im all out :(

and its runs ok when its in da field so i dont think dat its the filter but ill change it anyway

you should get a k&n or uni filter...they're cleanable.
also, have you tried increasing the idle speed a little? you might just have the idle a little too low. also, make sure your airscrew is set correctly.
the compression could def be the prob too. remember when you're testing it you need to have the throttle pinned at wot.
also, if your jetting is incorrect then it could def be the spark plug. if all else fails and the compression looks ok (above 100) then pop a new plug in there.