started and shut down

JimmyJ

Sep 30, 2009
Rindge nh
i put a new spark plug in started right up and then shut off and wont start again whats the problem finger tightened the spark plug.

It's kinda hard to say without having any more info on the problem. Your engine needs fuel, compression, and a properly-timed spark to start and run. Something is lacking. When was the last time it ran? Was the Blasty running fine and then just quit? Been sitting for awhile and then tried to start it when this happened?

To venture a guess, I'd say that you've got a fuel delivery problem. Pull the carb. off and give it a thorough cleaning. Try some fresh fuel, and make sure that the mix flows freely from the petcock on the bottom of the tank. If you are running a fuel filter, be sure it isn't blocked. Unscrew the main and pilot jets from the carb. and blow them out well. If the carb. is clean and fresh fuel is present, but still no go, check your reed cage. Broken or chipped reeds cause many a no-start....

its been sitting for a month always had a idle issue and removed spark plug completly and the lights got brighter quicker and so ran to the store bought a plug and put it in and started first kick and shut right down and then after i started to restart it it would not start.

If the Blasty has been sitting for a month, I do indeed think you need a good fuel system servicing. The idle problem could be due to a blocked or partially-blocked pilot jet. OR, you may have an air leak somewhere, caused by a blown gasket or bad seal. A bad enough air leak will prevent the engine from running at all.

The lights on the machine will brighten up a bit if the plug is removed, because the CDI saps some energy to fire the plug. If the plug doesn't fire, more power is available for the lights.

the lights got brighter when i removed the spark plug from engine and boot but it started right up but shut down right away when i bought it it needed a starter coil which i bought an souldered it myself but im thinking maybe the stator issue once again maybe not souldered enough??

Thats very possible. I didn't know that you had been working on the stator plate. Yeah, a loose connection will cause intermittent spark. If you didn't get a good, solid connection when the pulse coil was first soldered in, the ignition may only fire until the engine actually begins to run. After it starts, vibration may be interfering with the connection and causing the spark to shut off.

Hook a gap-type spark tester to your spark plug wire, remove the plug from the engine, and kick it over. Watch the tester. You should see a crisp and very steady spark jumping the gap on the tester. If you have no fire or inconsistent fire, it's time to go back to the stator plate and check the connections again. If all looks good, you may need a new CDI box.

Just a thought: Do you still have the TORS system hooked up? If so, the ignition system may be fine, and your problem is actually caused by malfunctioning TORS. Try unplugging the 3-wire TORS 'black box' found underneath the hood on the bike and re-check the spark. If it now starts and runs, I'd leave the TORS unhooked. It causes many more problems than it solves.

ii bought the tester and no spark still i checked coil and the one wire looks burnt so i took it off and the coil tested good just the wire is done i can splice it and test that tomorrow. i got one month to get this thing tip top condition because im racing in a monster truck event in febuary