Sprocket sizes

04blasterdude

Feb 22, 2017
I have a 2004 Yamaha blaster with a full FMF exhaust. I recently tore my sprockets up and need new ones, I don't know to stick with stock or change them. Stock tires too. I do a lot of woods riding and do fine there, I sometimes open it up in a field and do some flat tracking and wheelies in my yard. I do jump it too, but only about 4ft off the ground. Plz help

Generally speaking, one tooth on the front sprocket is equal to three on the back. Only you can tell if
(a) you have enough power to gear up and
(b) do you need/want to go faster.
If you gear it to tall/high, you might not have enough power to pull 6th gear !!:(

Also , will you be needing/getting new tires anytime soon? Change in diamiter is same as changing gearing.

Generally speaking, one tooth on the front sprocket is equal to three on the back. Only you can tell if
If you gear it to tall/high, you might not have enough power to pull 6th gear !!:(

Also , will you be needing/getting new tires anytime soon? Change in diamiter is same as changing gearing.
Probably not, I will stick to the stock tires as long as I can because they are expensive for me. I might get a trx 250r in a year or two anyway

I thought about it and decided to get 14-40 sprockets to try them out. Will let you know how they are for me

Let me explain why sprockets wear out . Chain stretches from link to link o<>o<>o causing it to ride higher and higher on the teeth of the sprockets which intail wears out the sprockets teeth. If you would compare the new chain lengths let's say 100 total side by side to 100 worn chain lengths you'll find its totally stretched three or even four lengths get it? Compare old vs new. Buy a new chain first!

The correct ratio for front teeth to rear teeth is really about 3 1/2 teeth rear to 1 tooth front.

Let me explain why sprockets wear out . Chain stretches from link to link o<>o<>o causing it to ride higher and higher on the teeth of the sprockets which intail wears out the sprockets teeth. If you would compare the new chain lengths let's say 100 total side by side to 100 worn chain lengths you'll find its totally stretched three or even four lengths get it? Compare old vs new. Buy a new chain first!
I got new sprokets and had to keep the old chain, however I tightened it and will test it today

I do not write these for my benefit, but experience is invaluable. Go ahead run the old chain with your new sprockets. Priceless
My old chain is actually fine, my sprokets got tore up because some rocks got in the guard and ate up the teeth