Splitting case?

hotrodaj_2

Mar 23, 2010
Central California
How hard is it to split the case. I might install a +3 stroker if case is'nt difficult to split. I had a clamp fail and the carb. loosened up just enough to run ok but it leaned out and has lost some compression. Engine never felt like it was seizing up but it did loose a little power so I stopped to check things out. I went to refire engine and noticed most of my compression was gone. Then I found the failed clamp.

its not too bad to do really. i just used a harmonic balancer puller and a good sized screw driver and it came right apart.
this is the puller i used. you can rent them at most parts stores. you just need to get some really long m8x1.25 bolts, or just some threaded rod
P11568324.jpg

dang ^^^ i got that one. but my bolts arent fat enough to screw in the top of the flywheel. i too would like to know how to do it. ive been told to buy a puller for it but i am broke and am trying to do with what i got.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll probably split it then and install a stroker (HOT RODS). If damage is'nt too bad I might just replace piston. Which do you recommend? I'm thinking of getting a wisceo if needed.

you still need a flywheel puller, i used the harmonic balancer puller to actually split the cases

flywheel puller, harmonic balancer puller, large screwdriver. Anything else I need? I have all tools listed, just never split a blaster case before. Any surprises I should know about?

just make sure that the shift star lines up so it will fall through the case, you'll see what i'm talking about when you get into it. i had to give the trans parts a gentle tap with the hammer to get them out of the bearings too. otherwise just try to make sure that the cases come up somewhat even all the way across

Cool, Looks like money depending I will split that case. I'm gonna ride it tell it gets hurt again or the winter starts, which ever comes first and then I'm gonna go wild on it.